modifier activated Layer disappear when moved to the most left/right virtual desktop

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
solidsnake
New User

modifier activated Layer disappear when moved to the most left/right virtual desktop

Post by solidsnake »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2 and beta
Windows Version: win11
Mouse Information (brand/model): logi m590
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Dell9020 i7-4790 + 32GB RAM
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): both latest and beta
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: 2yrs
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: english

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

my current setup is using Ctrl key as global modifier to activate layer2
in layer2, i have set mouse
button 4 (virtual desktop switch left)
button 5 (virtual desktop switch right)

it works fine when I hold the keyboard Ctrl key to activate layer, then I press the button 4 and 5 to go forward and backward among my virtual desktop (3-4 desktops)
however, the layer2 got activiate by holding the ctrl start disappear (not funcitoning) when I reach the far most left or right desktop.

say Im at desktop1,
Ctrl+Btn4 to go left ---> ok nothing happen, it is normal
Ctrl+Btn4 again ---> ok
Ctrl+Btn4 again many times rapidly ---> the layer switch ballon disappear and the layer2 no longer work.

i notice that my system got Win key stuck at the moment. for example pressing only 0 key become "Win+0"
to make my Ctrl Layer2 work again, i need to press Win key once, and the the Ctrl Layer2 start working again.

the same behavior happened to Ctrl+Btn4 to go right virtual desktop.
I've tried another keyboard to eliminate the chance of keyboard error
I've also try the latest beta version 2.20 but the result remains the same.

since windows itself doesn't provide the Ctrl+mouse keycombo to switch between virtual desktop. XMBC become the MUST have apps for me to navigate virtual deskto quickly for my producitivity.

ps: is there any option to have mousekeycombo to show the virtual desktop? I tried to simulate the Win+Tab but it is not working in XMBC.

many thanks.
phil
Site Admin

Re: modifier activated Layer disappear when moved to the most left/right virtual desktop

Post by phil »

Hi, it sounds like its not releasing the WIN key properly... Hence it getting stuck and breaking the layer modifier I guess.
I will have to have a look and see if I can reproduce it.

As for WIN+TAB, that should work, but ONLY if you have the installed version of XMBC and ONLY if it is installed in the default location (under C:\Program Files). XMBC needs to run as an accessibility tool to be able to send certain key sequences (WIN+TAB being one of those) and to run as an accessibility tool, XMBC has to be digitally signed (it is) and run from a secure location under program files (thanks MS for these weird requirements!). If you are using the installed version under program files and its still not working let me know and I'll check it here too.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
solidsnake
New User

Re: modifier activated Layer disappear when moved to the most left/right virtual desktop

Post by solidsnake »

thanks for looking into it.

yes, both the latest version and the beta version were installed using the installer package.