Bug in Unistaller - Profile location

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
XMDCUser
New User

Bug in Unistaller - Profile location

Post by XMDCUser »

I have discovered a possible bug in the latest version (2.19.2) of XMBC. Apparently the FIRST time you install the program, it stores the profile location in the registry at

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Highresolution Enterprises\XMouseButtonControl

I installed XMBC on a new PC from a removal drive. The profile I imported was on that removable drive and that is the path that got stored in the registry. When I removed the drive and tried to use the program, nothing works because it keeps looking for the profile file in the missing drive location. Uninstalling and reinstalling the program does NOT remove the registry key. I had to manually launch regedit.exe and modify the key to point to the correct NEW location of the profile settings. This is on Windows 11.

This is not an easy thing to diagnose and your uninstaller should clean up this key. There is a forum post from awhile ago (topic 1791 - I cannot post the link) that had a similar sounding issue.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Bug in Unistaller - Profile location

Post by phil »

I'll add it to the list.
The uninstaller doesn't remove this because it was not added by the installer (I presume) but by XMBC itself (in the users profile). The installer only deals with the machine profile (as it does not have access to anything but the machine and the current user)

But XMBC should not fail if it cant open the file... It should default to the default location if it cant open the specified file... That more the bug than the installer I think!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Re: Bug in Unistaller - Profile location

Post by phil »

Ive just tried this here (Windows 10 but that shouldn't matter!), stuck my profile on a removable USB key, exited XMBC, removed key, started XMBC and it loaded fine - obviously the profile was not loaded (it used the default location) which is what I would expect (so there was no profile loaded/default profile used).

To change the location I just used the "Load Profile" button in XMBC itself to load a profile from a different location.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)