I Request help for Age of Empires 2 DE very specific and famous problem...

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
phalanx
New User

I Request help for Age of Empires 2 DE very specific and famous problem...

Post by phalanx »

Hi everyone, Mike here...

I will go straight to the point: Iam trying to configure my own "inverted mouse drag camera move" proffile for the game Age of Empires 2 definitive edition. This game does not include a MODERN camera move system like other RTS or MOBA like League of Legends or Dota 2 where you just click and drag the camera with the Right Click in the ground working as an anchor. Instead they provide a trash and unuseful drag system that nobody likes - Only when you enter hotkeys settings in the game you can set to control the camera with the arrow keys like other many games, but this is very unconfortable. Due to this problem, I decided to try X mouse software and find a more precise solution for this.

After a couple of hours testing here and there, I found that the most close solution is to use "SIMULATED KEYS" divided in 4 layers, one for each direction (N, S, W, E), this way when I click and drag (moving the cursor to the desired direction) , the Keyboard directional arrow keys UP DOWN R or L will be simulated and then I will be able to move the game camera without blocking the native game function for that click ( like giving a character the order to walk to that ground point - achieving this of course unchecking the option "block original mouse send" or something like that I've seen).

The problem is that 4 layers in X MOUSE must work at the same time and I need to configure a "specific directional cursor move" for each key simulation indicating the system that it must move to the correct direction ( I mean, simulate when to "press" each arrow key ). Is not enought with only set: {UP} {DOWN} {RIGHT} {LEFT}, Because the 4 simultaneous layers will result in 0 movement. There must be an additional cursor move X, Y function that should work along with the 4 arrows.

This is my little analisis and iam not so good at programming, But Iam sure that a lot of Aoe2 players could be benefit using this software. If you can help me please share your opinions.

Thank you everybody in advance :cheers:
phil
Site Admin

Re: I Request help for Age of Empires 2 DE very specific and famous problem...

Post by phil »

It sounds like what you want to do is not currently possible in XMBC.
I think what you want, is like "Change movement to scroll" but instead, "Change movement to simulated keys" where you can specify a key sequence to send depending on the direction you move the mouse while the button is down.

Its not impossible, but it would be quite a significant change to the code and GUI.... And I already have nearly two years of things to do on the list (its been almost 2 years since the last version was released and I simply haven't found the time to look at XMBC recently).

So while it may be possible, and I will add it to my list - please don't expect anything soon as compared to the other things on the list, this would be a significant amount of work.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phalanx
New User

Re: I Request help for Age of Empires 2 DE very specific and famous problem...

Post by phalanx »

thanks for that fast answer, I understand, and yes, you got the point, I hope this become possible in the future :D