Unable to use scroll wheel in Notification Area

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
ArtieFinkelstein
New User

Unable to use scroll wheel in Notification Area

Post by ArtieFinkelstein »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: Win7 Pro SP1 x64
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech M705
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc):
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: 4 weeks
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: XMBC blocks a unique access to the Notification Area icon used by ClickMonitorDDC 7.0 found at clickmonitorddc dot bplaced dot net. This app allows the user to configure a single monitor control to be changed by scrolling the mouse wheel when the cursor hovers over the icon in the notification area. The user does NOT have to click on the icon to activate this feature. After installing XMBC this scrolling on hover feature was no longer functional. I had to click on the icon and open the full control box to allow the scroll wheel to change the configured channel (brightness of the primary monitor).

Oddly enough, when I renamed the XMBC install folder in an attempt to block it from loading (there is no temporary disable option available) but clicked on Sleep instead of Restart, and after Windows resumed operation the scrolling function in ClickMonitorDDC started working as expected and XMBC still provided the configured keycodes when I side tilt the tilt wheel in Notepad++.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Unable to use scroll wheel in Notification Area

Post by phil »

Try turning off "Make ccroll wheel scroll window under pointer" in settings - that will probably fix it (and is not really needed in Windows 10).
ArtieFinkelstein wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:16 am Oddly enough, when I renamed the XMBC install folder in an attempt to block it from loading (there is no temporary disable option available) but clicked on Sleep instead of Restart, and after Windows resumed operation the scrolling function in ClickMonitorDDC started working as expected and XMBC still provided the configured keycodes when I side tilt the tilt wheel in Notepad++.
Really? No option to disable XMBC? Sorry, how many MORE options do you want. You can disable XMBC using the disable context menu in the system tray (the same place this ClickMonitorDDC icon is), you can simply turn on scroll lock (by default as in unless you have disabled that option), you can use global hotkeys (that yo usetup) or you can use a command line shortcut - thats 3 easy and one more complex options to disable XMBC!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

phil wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:24 am Try turning off "Make ccroll wheel scroll window under pointer" in settings - that will probably fix it (and is not really needed in Windows 10/11).
ArtieFinkelstein wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:16 am Oddly enough, when I renamed the XMBC install folder in an attempt to block it from loading (there is no temporary disable option available) but clicked on Sleep instead of Restart, and after Windows resumed operation the scrolling function in ClickMonitorDDC started working as expected and XMBC still provided the configured keycodes when I side tilt the tilt wheel in Notepad++.
Really? No option to disable XMBC? Sorry, how many MORE options do you want. You can disable XMBC using the disable context menu in the system tray (the same place this ClickMonitorDDC icon is), you can simply turn on scroll lock (by default as in unless you have disabled that option), you can use global hotkeys (that yo usetup) or you can use a command line shortcut - thats 3 easy and one more complex options to disable XMBC!
--[ Phil ]--
ArtieFinkelstein
New User

Only one that's obvious in either the right click or left click menus for the Notification Tray. Or even just mention the existing schemes as part of a help popup from either menu. It's not about having enough ways to do it, it's about being able to find out about those ways without having to go a website on the chance that a feature may be described there.

It will be a couple days before can try out your suggestion as my main machine crashed last night.

Thank you for the quick response, I'm sorry I can't try it out as fast as you responded.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

ArtieFinkelstein wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:37 am Only one that's obvious in either the right click or left click menus for the Notification Tray. Or even just mention the existing schemes as part of a help popup from either menu. It's not about having enough ways to do it, it's about being able to find out about those ways without having to go a website on the chance that a feature may be described there.
I guess that's true, although tbf, the scroll lock disable option is described in the manual along with every other option in there (the manual is installed along side XMBC so no need to go to the website for that, just the start menu) but maybe there could be more detail - although most people don't bother even looking in the manual :lol:. Not sure where I could put a tooltip/popup that would guarantee everyone would find it. I do want to add a popup type thing when remapping the left button to say "you can get out of this by disabling XMBC such as with Scroll Lock etc." but its never taking top priority (not a lot XMBC has got any priority in the last couple of years!)
ArtieFinkelstein wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:37 am It will be a couple days before can try out your suggestion as my main machine crashed last night.

Thank you for the quick response, I'm sorry I can't try it out as fast as you responded.
No problem :)
--[ Phil ]--
ArtieFinkelstein
New User

The machine is mostly recovered and at this time XMBC works just fine with the ClickMonitorDDC icon in the Notification Area. The 'Global Settings > General > Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor' option was already checked. I don't recall checking it, but then I also don't recall un-checking it before the machine failed to reboot last week.

Thank you for your help.

BTW: I did try clearing the above mentioned option and the scroll wheel did NOT stop working with ClickMonitorDDC. I don't know what is going on, but I'll leave XMBC set in the "pass through" mode (enabled).

As for the multiple issues in the RTFM arena, I'm as guilty as the next user. I find I write much better documentation and comments after I have to go back and fix something and I can't make sense of what I wrote months earlier.

Again, thank you.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

ArtieFinkelstein wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:33 am The machine is mostly recovered and at this time XMBC works just fine with the ClickMonitorDDC icon in the Notification Area. The 'Global Settings > General > Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor' option was already checked. I don't recall checking it, but then I also don't recall un-checking it before the machine failed to reboot last week.
It is checked by default (always has been) but does not really need to be on Windows 10/11 as MS changed how it works by default. But I have never gotten around to changing the default in XMBC (and when it works it still has some advantages over the built in Windows one, especially in old legacy applications).
ArtieFinkelstein wrote: As for the multiple issues in the RTFM arena, I'm as guilty as the next user. I find I write much better documentation and comments after I have to go back and fix something and I can't make sense of what I wrote months earlier.
Completely agree with that! Actually the manual wasn't written by me originally, but by one of the XMBC users. But since then I have been maintaining it and adding to it (which potentially could make it less clear with a mixture of writing styles too!).
--[ Phil ]--