can ctrl alt home work?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
sosuke
New User

can ctrl alt home work?

Post by sosuke »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2 portable
Windows Version: windows 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): razer deathadder elite RZ01-0201
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): plenty of each
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: never before
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English (United States)

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:
I'm trying to configure my mouse button to run CTRL-ALT-HOME. If you don't already know CTRL-ALT-HOME brings the focus back to the host computer when in a fullscreen RDP session.
So to test, you have to be in an RDP session, then wait for the top session bar to disappear, then CTRL-ALT-HOME brings the session bar back to focus which allows you to then run keyboard commands on the host computer.

I've gotten other key combos to work like CTRL-SHIFT-ESC but not this one.

SOLVED! viewtopic.php?p=22816#p22816
Last edited by sosuke on Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
phil
Site Admin

Re: can ctrl alt home work?

Post by phil »

{CTRL}{ALT}{HOME} method one is working fine here full screen RDP to bring the little bar back up?
Are you installed or portable, and what version of XMBC ("none" doesn't really cut it!)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
sosuke
New User

Post by sosuke »

Ah it was portable. I'm trying the install now. I didn't mention XBMC because I'm not using it! Just regular work on multiple virtual machines.

OH, I'm a dork, I was reading XBMC, xbox media center
not XMBC, xmouse button control

the portable version was 2.19.2
Last edited by sosuke on Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sosuke
New User

Post by sosuke »

Installed version 2.19.2 didn't change the outcome. Vanilla install with this as my settings no options changed. Rebooted before attempt after install.

Code: Select all

Layer 1
Simulated Keystrokes - Mouse Button 5
{CTRL}{ALT}{HOME}
1 As mouse button is pressed
Block original mouse input
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

sosuke wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:51 pm OH, I'm a dork, I was reading XBMC, xbox media center
not XMBC, xmouse button control
Don't worry - its a common mistake - Maybe I should change the post template to make it less easy to confuse it I always figured it should be obvious as its why people are here!! :)

OK This is strange - I wonder if it is related to me having dual monitors - I'll give it a try on some other machines when I get a moment and see if I have any problems there. Had you not already tried the installed version, that would have been my suggestion - but to no avail it seems!

I presume you are using the standard Windows RDP client (MSTSC.exe) client? Or another non Microsoft one?
--[ Phil ]--
sosuke
New User

Post by sosuke »

I also have dual monitors. But I'm not sure if I am using the `mstsc.exe` or not since I connect using Hyper-V. I'm going to try this on another machine where I do explicitly use it.

I've tried it now on a machine where I'm connecting for certain with `mstsc.exe` and I get the same bad result. I tried it with the installed version of 2.19.2 again. I used the same simulated key press setup.

One difference I just thought of is that my laptop keyboard has home and F11 on the same key. When I try the key combination on the keyboard it works as expected and the session bar is focused.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Urm, the home/F11 shouldn't matter but it is possible that converting to scan codes could be causing problems. To be sure, try using the virtual key code for HOME directly - it is 0x24 (decimal 36) so try this:

{CTRL}{ALT}{VKC:36} and see if that makes any difference (I doubt it will but its worth a try).

I've tried this on my laptop now too and with the VKC instead of {home} and that also works for me.
I do have Hyper-V installed on the server but not on any desktop/laptop - but as you seem to have the problem with regular MSTSC I guess that's not worth me trying.

Im wondering if there is any setting at play here (or possible I am running a different version of XMBC (as yet unreleased internal build). So if the VKC does not work, maybe its worth me sending you my entire profile (all settings) and see if that makes any difference for you - better still send me a copy of your profile (use the Save Profile button) and send me the result (post it in a PM or email it to me). And Maybe you may want to try my internal build (it is ready for release as in its stable, I just haven't had the time to put it all together in a public/beta build yet - your choice if you want to try that. I cant think of any other reason why it would be different for you.

I assume you're using US English language settings (I'm using UK English layouts but they are normally pretty much 100% compatible other than physically a few keys swapped like " and @).
--[ Phil ]--
sosuke
New User

Post by sosuke »

Alright, phil and I had a few good back and forth emails before the solution appeared.

It came down to a misunderstanding on my part on how this shortcut functions.

When in fullscreen mode Remote Desktop Connection - mstsc.exe - applies Windows key combinations like ALT+TAB to the remote computer. With one exception: CTRL-ALT-HOME

The Remote Desktop Connection program is ready to listen to that key combination specifically and the keystrokes that is hears are on the local computer. The LOCAL computer then focuses on the session bar allowing you to then perform other key combinations on the local computer.

For emphasis, you want to run XMBC on the LOCAL computer to handle CTRL-ALT-HOME.

My misunderstanding was that mstsc.exe was capturing all key combinations without exception. I was running XMBC on the remote computer expecting it to somehow signal the RDC on the local machine.

TLDR; XMBC needs to be running on the local computer to take advantage of {CTRL}{ALT}{HOME}.