Restrict XMBC to a single device?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
askvictor
New User

Restrict XMBC to a single device?

Post by askvictor »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: 10

Is it possible to make XMBC only work on a certain device/mouse? On my laptop I'd like for it to be active on my trackball (when it's connected), but when it's disconnected (i.e. laptop mode), have the touchpad (or another mouse if I'm using one) not use any XBMC modifiers.

Cheers,
phil
Site Admin

Re: Restrict XMBC to a single device?

Post by phil »

Sorry no that is not possible. XMBC uses Windows mouse hooks that are device independent and provide no information on the source of the messages. More detail in the FAQ "I have more than one mouse/trackball on my system; Does XMBC have the capability to distinguish between different mice?"
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
askvictor
New User

Post by askvictor »

OK thanks. I've ended up making an EventGhost configuration that detects when a particular mouse is plugged or unplugged, and starts or kills XMBC accordingly (is there are cleaner way to do this than just kill the XMBC process?). Though come to think of it, this should be possible to implement within XMBC - detect the plug/unplug events, and activate/deactivate things accordingly? It still wouldn't be able to distinguish between different events from different devices, but would be useful to me anyway :)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

You can use command line arguments with XMBC ... Just run (from the command line) XMouseButtonControl.exe /? for a list but you can disable/enable it or exit it gracefully.

And yes, I could probably monitor USB events like eventghost does (I use eventghost a lot myself although mostly on the server for X10/homebrew Homecontrol type stuff)...

... But its a completely new concept for me coding wise and I've no idea how simple/difficult it would be to build in... Given I haven't had the time to release an update to XMBC for near on two years now, please don't expect anything advanced like that quickly (there's plenty of things to do before I can think about that - I have lots of open bugs and lots of open new features that are actually more closely related to the core XMBC functionality). Not saying it will never happen, but I don't want to get your hopes up :)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
askvictor
New User

Post by askvictor »

Thanks for the reply; I totally understand how it goes, and not expecting anything. And thanks for an awesome program!