XMouseButtonControl.log growing with repeating messages

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
xmau
New User

XMouseButtonControl.log growing with repeating messages

Post by xmau »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: 7
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): i3 16GB
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): Uncertain
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): Uncertain
How long have you used XMBC?: 2 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: Default US Eng & keyboard

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

During my hdd housecleaning, I noticed XMouseButtonControl.log, a sizeable file and constantly growing with repeated messages and by trial and error I found out to stop this repeating message, I had to stop a Microsoft service "Tablet PC Input Service". Hope this can be fixed. Or is there a way to disable the log?

Code: Select all

26-10-2021 02:12:00.158> MouseHookLLProc: Injected message was modified by something else therefore we could have a problem!
26-10-2021 02:12:01.450> MouseHookLLProc: Injected message was modified by something else therefore we could have a problem!
26-10-2021 02:12:01.596> MouseHookLLProc: Injected message was modified by something else therefore we could have a problem!
26-10-2021 02:12:02.994> MouseHookLLProc: Injected message was modified by something else therefore we could have a problem!
26-10-2021 02:12:03.122> MouseHookLLProc: Injected message was modified by something else therefore we could have a problem!
26-10-2021 02:12:06.724> MouseHookLLProc: Injected message was modified by something else therefore we could have a problem!
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMouseButtonControl.log growing with repeating messages

Post by phil »

That's interesting - especially the solution. If XMBC injected messages are getting changed, there are almost certainly going to be other problems than just the log increasing (it logs that as an error for a reason!), so maybe the best solution is to remove the offending application anyway. But you can start XMBC with the argument /nolog if your are not noticing any problems and just want to cut out the logging. I suppose I could also modify XMBC to make that a debug only log. Right now, using the installed version, you'd need to modify the startup entry in the registry to add that CLI option so its a little complex in that regard!
The log file will never grow more than a certain size - it does have code in there to manage itself (I cant remember for sure but I suspect that size is around 10 or 20Mb - hardly an issue on a HDD but I guess I could see why you might not like it if you had a SSD and are particularly worried about write wear).

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
xmau
New User

Re: XMouseButtonControl.log growing with repeating messages

Post by xmau »

I believe this Microsoft service was turned on when I purchased a drawing tablet some months ago. Will need to connect back that tablet to see what's the impact of stopping this service.

You are right my concern is for the SSD lifespan.

Thanks for the /nolog option, will get it done in regedit.