Function + Layer Switch on one button

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Higgins
New User

Function + Layer Switch on one button

Post by Higgins »

XMBC Version: v2.19.2
Windows Version: Windows 10 64 bit
Mouse Information (brand/model): Microsoft Ergonomic Bluetooth Mouse
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): IIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K 16GB RAM
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: 1 year
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: US layout

This is a fairly basic thing but I have to admit I've spent a little too much time trying to figure it out, for a second time.

Last year, I made a very simple set up: My mouse has mouse buttons 3 and 4 on the side (thumb buttons). I use 4 to Copy, and 3 to Paste. And, I had it set up so if I hold down 4, it'll stay on Layer 2 for as long as it is held - while in Layer 2, I use the mouse wheel up/down to control volume up/down.

I had trouble setting this up, although ultimately figured it out. But after a WIndows reset for unrelated reasons, I can't find my profile (my fault, not in the default path) and I cannot for the life of me get this to work again. It keeps getting stuck on Layer 2 or not performing one of the functions or whatever.

I know this is probably as simple as telling the button layers which press type to use, but experimenting keeps getting me stuck and I'm about ready to give up.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Function + Layer Switch on one button

Post by phil »

Instead of using layers, can you use Button Chording instead?
That's how I use the wheel to adjust volume when another button is down. Layers *should* work too but first things first, try chording!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Higgins
New User

Post by Higgins »

Thank you, that worked, and is a lot simpler. I'm still really wondering how I ever managed it with layers, but I'm glad I don't have to bother.

For anyone else looking at this in the future, here's exactly what I did:

1. Change button to Button Chording
2. Switch "Default (No Chord)" to the basic single action you want (Copy, in my case)
3. Change the buttons you want to behave differently when the first button is held down. For me that was changing Wheel Up to Media - Volume Up and Wheel Down to Media - Volume Down.

I left all the checkmarks at the bottom checked, which was their default (including "unblock after" being set to 750 milliseconds)

Since that was way easier, now I'm a bit more comfortable experimenting with other combinations too. Thanks again! :)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Glad that worked, I wont worry too much about the layers. Chording is specifically designed to do what you want and I use it daily (right button + wheel for volume, left for mute and 4th/5th button for play/pause)...

Chording was introduced more recently so maybe it wasn't there before (I'm not sure how long ago you last setup XMBC).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)