Choose different mouse button behavior based on cursor movement

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
stillplays
New User

Choose different mouse button behavior based on cursor movement

Post by stillplays »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: Windows 10 x64
Mouse Information (brand/model): A4Tech
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): AMD Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): N/A
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): N/A
How long have you used XMBC?: One year
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English US

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

For starters, this is for a game. I'd like to be able to use the right mouse button to rotate the game view. Game default to rotate is using the middle click. The issue is that the game also uses a lot of right clicks to open the context menu.

Currently, I have XMBC set up like this...
Right button (Button Held)
Normal click - Middle click
Held for: 70 ms - Right click
Abort and revert to the normal click action when the mouse moves - Checked

It's working pretty nicely. Except for the fact that in some high apm situations, the 70ms becomes too slow to bring up the context menu with a right click. I can do 50ms but that leads to problems like my wanting to rotate the game view but it brings up the context menu instead.

So I'm wondering. Is it possible to setup XMBC so that if I right click and the cursor stays in place, it acts as a normal right click; but if I right click, hold, and drag the cursor, it acts as a middle click?

This solves the issue because I can right click (and bring up the context menu) without any delay. And I can also use the right mouse button to rotate the game view.

If the question doesn't make any sense, I apologize. English isn't my first language. But I would be happy to provide more information if needed.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Choose different mouse button behavior based on cursor movement

Post by phil »

Right now that's not going to be possible, there is an option in the button held to "abort" the hold if you move the mouse... Sounds to me like you want the opposite - to act as held if the cursor moves.... That would be doable (I'll add it to the TODO list) but I cant make any promises on timescales (other than its likely going to take some time - my todo list keeps growing and I haven't found much time for XMBC in the last 18 months :(.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
stillplays
New User

Re: Choose different mouse button behavior based on cursor movement

Post by stillplays »

Yes, that's exactly what I want. To act as held if the cursor moves. Man, you just summed up my issue in one simple sentence! And here I am using this roundabout way of saying it.

On timescales, the fact that it's doable is good enough for me. There's a good chance that I'll still be using XMBC long after I've finished playing this game. I like using the right mouse button to rotate the camera (game view) and unfortunately, not many games include the option. It's usually just the middle button.

As it stands, there's a better chance for XMBC to support it. I can't count on the game developers to implement it. It's not very popular among players. Others like using the middle mouse button. But it's just too slow for me - too much movement: You have to move the index finger to the middle button, click, drag, and then move it back. I tried to explain my way and how it's better. Because you don't have to do any moving back and forth.

They didn't buy it. Apparently, to them it sounds worse than using the middle button. I suspect it's because I wasn't able to explain it well enough.

Anyway, thank you for XMBC. The day I stop using it will be the day I stop using computers :D.