How to reduce input delay with XMBC clicks?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
MannyOTW
New User

How to reduce input delay with XMBC clicks?

Post by MannyOTW »

So I've modified my mouse clicks with XMouse, changing my left clicks into 3 LMBs. But I've noticed that whenever I click, there are milliseconds of delay before the click registers. My question here is, how do I make the clicks as instantaneous as possible?
phil
Site Admin

Re: How to reduce input delay with XMBC clicks?

Post by phil »

XMBC Adds a standard delay of 5ms between simulated keystrokes - you could reduce that number in advanced settings, but beware, many applications will ignore clicks that come in too quickly (hence the tiny delay). If your seeing bigger than 5ms (or whatever that number is set to) then there is no other way to reduce it - it must simply be the execution time in the simulated key thread - I suppose you could try running XMBC at a higher process priority (also on the advanced settings tab) but I suspect it will already be running as "high" priority - the only higher one would be "real time" this will tell the windows thread scheduler to give more attention to XMBC.

But beyond that, there is little you can do. XMBC is a user level program and as such, no timings are ever predictable. Firstly, there will be time before XMBC even sees the clicks, then there will be the time it takes to react to them and simulate the new clicks. You didn't give your hardware specs (as requested in the forum template) so I cant speculate on that - but if your machine is busy (100% CPU usage for example, or 100% on the core(s) that XMBC happens to be using) you can expect more delay as Windows will take more time to service each process and thus XMBC could get delayed in seeing/remapping the clicks.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
MannyOTW
New User

Post by MannyOTW »

Thanks phil. That makes sense. One other issue I have with XMBC is that it starts to get laggy when it runs for a long time (1hr+). Is there a particular solution for this?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Again, not something I have noticed myself - what do you mean by laggy in this case? I frequently have XMBC running for multiple days at a time and have never noticed anything lagging?
--[ Phil ]--
MannyOTW
New User

Post by MannyOTW »

Perhaps it's just me or the specific game I play. I appreciate your help nonetheless.

Last question, whenever I spam my left button, I have to wait for all previous clicks to complete before a new one is registered. Is there a setting to make the latest click cancel all previous ones?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Urm, no unfortunately not... At least not as far as I can remember (I'd have to go check to be sure)... Once the inputs are queued, they will be processed... I could probably add a simkey tag to flush/empty any existing queue but right now this is only done (internally) when switching profiles/layers etc.

I'll add it to the list, but I cant promise when I may get a chance to do it.
--[ Phil ]--
MannyOTW
New User

Post by MannyOTW »

No problem. That'd be great