Mouse Cursor not working + Other weird behavior

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
SikeSky
New User

Mouse Cursor not working + Other weird behavior

Post by SikeSky »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2 (x64)
Windows Version: Windows 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): MX Master 2S
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Intel i7-9750H CPU, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 1660 Ti
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: Less than a day
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: US English

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

I have been using an MX Master 2S wireless mouse without any issues for about 4~5 months now. My only gripe with the mouse was this hidden fifth button placed right where my thumb rests that functions as a tab selector. I looked around for a method to disable that shortcut and XMouse seemed like a good option and was recommended on Reddit. I downloaded the portable version, fired it up, and tried disabling the "Mouse 5" button. My mouse immediately began to reject any movement inputs, i.e. I could still click, scroll, use the side buttons to go forward and back tabs, but I could not move the cursor with the mouse nor use the ALT-Tab functionality.

I have reset all the settings in XMouse, restarted my computer, changed USB ports, and uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the mouse itself. Reinstalling the driver allowed the mouse to sort of move the cursor temporarily, but it stuttered horribly and began flashing the tab menu ever few seconds. After a couple minutes of this behavior, it's back to the previous state - no cursor movement, but all buttons besides "ALT-tab" work.

Unplugging and replugging the mouse in causes it to rapidly cycle through the tab menu. It also feels like the hidden button no longer is providing touch feedback.

I also just now noticed that moving the mouse up and down, or at least shaking it along its "Z axis" (lol) causes it to open and cycle through the tab menu fairly reliably.

Again, I was using it without ANY ISSUE up the second I set Mouse Button 5 to disabled.

(EDIT... Can I edit before I post? Whatever.)
Selecting "Simulated Keys" for Mouse Button 5 IMMEDIATELY restored mouse cursor control, however pressing the "Tab" Button breaks it just as quickly. Repeating the same process fixes it sometimes, though I still randomly get the tab menu while using the mouse.

Looking more closely at the options, I think I misunderstood what qualified as "5 buttons" for the mouse. I have a Left Button, a Right Button, the Middle Button (wheel), two side buttons (Forward, Back) and then the (sixth) "Tab" button.

For now, I'd just like to fix my mouse. Deleting the folder with the portable did not seem to do anything in this regard, though I've restored it from the Recycling bin for fear of being unable to reverse a bad decision.

(Actual Edit)
Button 5 seems to be my "Forward" button and changing it to "Left Click" or "Right Click" works fine.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Mouse Cursor not working + Other weird behavior

Post by phil »

OK Well firstly, XMBC can only change the behavior of the first 5 buttons, and as you have discovered, the tab button is a sixth button (My Logitech M720 also has this tab button that I occasionally trigger accidentally). You may be able to use the Logitech software to disable it (I think I did that once, but I generally try and avoid having the Logitech software installed so I've put up with it for now - and its the mouse on my laptop, not my main machine where I guess it would be more annoying!).

What I don't understand is a) how changing button 5 can have any influence on the cursor movement - it simply doesn't make any sense to me!?!
It might be useful to see if you can turn on debug logging (settings -> logging & updates tab) and capture it going wrong, it might give some clues.

Also, once XMBC is not running, it can have no impact - XMBC uses windows hooks to capture and remap buttons so when its not running, its not able to make any changes - so exiting (fully not just minimizing it to the tray) and more specifically, deleting the folder with the portable version in it should leave no lasting changes (other than perhaps the Windows cursor speed settings if you changed those in XMBC - as it just modifies the windows mouse control panel setting for that!).

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
SikeSky
New User

Re: Mouse Cursor not working + Other weird behavior

Post by SikeSky »

Thanks Phil! I found a tool on Logitech's website (Logitech Options) that let me control the buttons directly. I turned off the "Gesture Button" and it seems to have fixed the problem. Sorry for doubting your software, haha.

Some other users mentioned that their own gesture buttons got stuck in the on position. I think this is just a standard case of mixing correlation and causation :lol: