Uninstall leaves traces with potential for little drama

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
LuciVuur
New User

Uninstall leaves traces with potential for little drama

Post by LuciVuur »

Short story:
When you uninstall XMBC it leaves traces in register and in %appdata%. Those traces include settings from previous installation. So a "fresh" reinstall uses settings from a previous installation. This might, in some cases, lead to problems.

Long story:
My son (10) installed XMBC without me knowing. He installed it and went on with the settings.
He made a mistake there, were he made left mouse button do lowering volume.
Left mouse button did not work anymore and he ask me what was going on.
So I told him he made a mistake in the settings and now he made his PC useless.
I needed to uninstall XMBC. But without a working left mouse button that is a real nightmare for me.
So I restarted de PC in save mode.
Use TAB SPACEBAR and ENTER keys to navigate windows for the following:
Windows-key R >> type: msconfig >> use tab and arrows spacebar to checkmark: restart in safemode.
TAB TAB to apply > enter
TAB TAB to OK >> enter
Restart confirm with tab and enter.
PC restarting in save mode
Now you can go to windows setting >> apps en uninstall XMBC
After the successful uninstall, uncheck the start in save mode via the msconfig ( now easy with mouse)
Restart your PC again in normal mode.
It should be normal again, without XMBC.

But here is the CRUX. When you install XBMC again the exact save problems persist.
My guess is That Uninstall leave traces and uses those traces the next time it installs including the mistakes made in the settings.
After uninstall I found mentions of Highrez and XMBC in register and %appdata%

I removed all of those manually

Now a real fresh reinstall of XMBC is possible

(I did not install XMBC again because I don't want to encourage Hacking ( That's why he installed it in the first place autoclicker speedclicker ))

XMBC Version: 2.19
Windows Version: 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): cheap generic
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): amd 4gb nvidia 1040ti
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: few hours
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: international qwerty

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: long and short story and solution above this form.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Uninstall leaves traces with potential for little drama

Post by phil »

There is a checkbox when installing to remove previous settings. XMBC does not delete settings by design, but you can choose to do so during installation.

There are also MANY easier ways (than uninstalling) to "fix" this issue when you change the left/right button behavior accidentally. By default the easiest way is to turn on scroll lock which disables XMBC). If you have the right button working, simply right click the XMBC icon and select disable from the context menu (using the keyboard). Many other ways too - and its covered in the FAQ!

EDIT:
After uninstall I found mentions of Highrez and XMBC in register and %appdata%

I removed all of those manually

Now a real fresh reinstall of XMBC is possible
If you remove the XML settings file (in appdata by default but you can choose a different location during installation) then you will be OK (but again, if you do that, no need to uninstall either!). The reg entry is pretty much *only* used to point to the installation folder for installation purposes (not sure why the uninstall does not remove that but its probably moot in this scenario). XMBC does not really use the registry (to keep it the same for the portable version which is not allowed to touch the registry at all).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)