Default Installing to a removed hard drive

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
HeadPilgrim
New User

Default Installing to a removed hard drive

Post by HeadPilgrim »

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

I removed a failing hard drive that had x-mouse button installed on it. Note, this is not the drive that has windows installed on it as that is my C drive and this was my F drive. I'm trying to install the program again and the installer always fails out because it wants to install to my F drive which no longer exists. I used a program called revo uninstaller and cleared out all of the registry files that I'm aware of but the installer still points to my F drive every time. My default ProgramFilesDir is to my C drive so I'm not sure how to fix this.

Any advice would help thanks.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Default Installing to a removed hard drive

Post by phil »

Thats a new one!

The only registry key that XMBC uses is where it is installed - so maybe that's it... The XMBC config file would be on the failed drive I guess. Have a look in the registry for...
Key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Highresolution Enterprises\XMouseButtonControl
Value: InstallLocation & possibly SettingsFolder

Delete the whole key, or just the two values/valuedata and see if that fixes it. I will have to mod the installer so it handles that better - funny its never cropped up before!

NOTE: XMBC really should be installed under programfiles else it can not operate properly as a Windows Accessibility Tool due to microsoft's weird rules - and you wont be able to interact with higher elevated processes without running XMBC as admin!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
HeadPilgrim
New User

Post by HeadPilgrim »

Thanks that fixed it! I thought I looked close enough for any related registries but I missed that one and it seems it was the culprit thanks for the help.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Glad that fixed it - I will have to see if I can modify the installer so it handles such cases better!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)