Scrolling lag

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
0v3rl0rd
New User

Scrolling lag

Post by 0v3rl0rd »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: Win10 x64 Pro (20H2, 19042.804)
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech M720 (stock Win 10 driver: Microsoft, 10.0.19041.1)
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Chuwi Larkbox (Intel Celeron J4115, 6 GB RAM, SSD)
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: about a year
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: Windows language is english, keyboard layout is Standard (Croatian)
Other mouse software: none
Clear description of the problem:

First things first: the M720 mouse has the "hyper-fast scrolling feature" - when the scroll wheel is "unlocked" it doesn't "click" when scrolling - it just rotates and rotates for approximately 6-10 seconds until it stops. It's the hardware feature, not a software one. And I use it 99% of the time.

The problem that I'll describe below applies both to hyper-scrolling and normal scroll, but it's way more noticeable with hyper-scroll.

Anyway, now the problem - link to video here: youtu . be/18BTybLokjE

When scrolling in Windows Explorer, it's lagging. When web broswing and scrolling a long webpage, it scrolls normally (fast as it should be). But in Windows Explorer it's lagging.

I recorded a video on which You can see the problem:
In the first part of the video (first 15 seconds), You can see that I rotate the wheel briefly and stop it shortly after. And scrolling stops immediately when the wheel stops rotating. In XMBC settings You can see the wheel options going yellow when the mouse wheel is rotating.

In the second part of the video (after 15 second) I turn ON the "make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" option (which is enabled by default), and the problem starts to show: as before, I rotate the wheel briefly and stop it shortly after. But the window keeps scrolling for a few more moments.

Notice that the content is now scrolling visually more smoothly, but it doesn't stop scrolling when the wheel is stopped, therefore it takes more time to get to the content that I'm looking for.

This is just an example, and the same applies in any other folder, regardless the contents of it (files, folders, or mixed).

I also noticed the problem on my Ryzen PC (Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro Wifi, Ryzen 3400G), although a little bit less noticeable.

Any suggestions or ideas?
Thank You in advance :)
phil
Site Admin

Re: Scrolling lag

Post by phil »

No real suggestions or ideas (other than the two at the end of this message - lol).... I have the same problem if I turn on the "hyperscrolling" hardware on my Logitech mice - its basically flooding XMBC with messages that it cant handle (redirect) quick enough. Sometimes it even makes it beep uncontrollably as the windows message buffer fills up (thats generally when its redirecting the messages). The problem is that every one of those tiny scroll movement messages gets routed through the mouse hook - and with this hyperscroll, its thoughts of messages a second. XMBC already has code to simply drop them if it gets too many, but its not enough - and if XMBC actually needs to remap them, its simply overloaded - for example the thread that sends simulated keys has a default delay of 1 or 2ms between each key, but your generating the key requests much faster than that == lag!

FWIW, the Ryzen has that little bit more power so its probably when its a little bit less noticeable... But its still there on my Ryzen 5900X... I tend not to use hyperscroll so its never really bothered me enough to spend any more time trying to improve it. When I'm debugging XMBC though thats a different issue, and any scroll (even non-hyper) can lead to flooding the message queue (its much slower under the debugger).

Have you actually remapped the scroll wheel? If not, it shouldn't be so much of a problem, except for the fact that its probably trying to redirect the scroll to the window under the cursor (and for every tiny little bit of scroll).... This is almost certainly not needed in Windows 10 (As Windows 10 does it natively by default anyway). So try turning off "Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" in settings. Also make sure "Activate when scrolling is turned off".... Does that help at all?

NOTE I haven't yet looked at the video as I'm at work at the moment..
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
0v3rl0rd
New User

Re: Scrolling lag

Post by 0v3rl0rd »

phil wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:08 pm No real suggestions or ideas (other than the two at the end of this message - lol).... I have the same problem if I turn on the "hyperscrolling" hardware on my Logitech mice - its basically flooding XMBC with messages that it cant handle (redirect) quick enough. Sometimes it even makes it beep uncontrollably as the windows message buffer fills up (thats generally when its redirecting the messages). The problem is that every one of those tiny scroll movement messages gets routed through the mouse hook - and with this hyperscroll, its thoughts of messages a second. XMBC already has code to simply drop them if it gets too many, but its not enough - and if XMBC actually needs to remap them, its simply overloaded - for example the thread that sends simulated keys has a default delay of 1 or 2ms between each key, but your generating the key requests much faster than that == lag!

FWIW, the Ryzen has that little bit more power so its probably when its a little bit less noticeable... But its still there on my Ryzen 5900X... I tend not to use hyperscroll so its never really bothered me enough to spend any more time trying to improve it. When I'm debugging XMBC though thats a different issue, and any scroll (even non-hyper) can lead to flooding the message queue (its much slower under the debugger).

Have you actually remapped the scroll wheel? If not, it shouldn't be so much of a problem, except for the fact that its probably trying to redirect the scroll to the window under the cursor (and for every tiny little bit of scroll).... This is almost certainly not needed in Windows 10 (As Windows 10 does it natively by default anyway). So try turning off "Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" in settings. Also make sure "Activate when scrolling is turned off".... Does that help at all?

NOTE I haven't yet looked at the video as I'm at work at the moment..

Hi, thank You for Your reply.

About remapping - no, I didn't remap the wheel.
I remapped only the side buttons to "copy" and "paste", and those are working fine.
Why I'm using this? Before, I was using Logitech Options (on both computers) but once in a while, Logitech Options just stops working normally - the side buttons (which I assigned to "copy" and "paste" in Logitech Options) are working ok, while Logitech Options works fine. But all of a sudden, when I pressed copy/paste buttons, they wouldn't work until I restarted Logitech Options (kill process, reopen the app). That's the main reason why I started looking for the alternative and how I came across XMBC, which I love way more than Logitech software :)

Yup, I tried turning off "make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" option and the problem is gone, but than the scrolling isn't so visually pleasing (smooth) - it kinda "jumps". But is stops scrolling when I stop the wheel from scrolling.

Have You got any suggestions to make the scrolling smoother? (You'll get it when You watch the video)

Thank You once again :)