Logitech MX Master button

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
kayteck
New User

Logitech MX Master button

Post by kayteck »

XMBC Version: 2.19.1
Windows Version: 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech MX Master
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc):
How long have you used XMBC?: 6 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English (Ireland)

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

I recently got a new mouse Logitech MX Master.
XMBC seems not to show two buttons available on the mouse (thumb button and scroll lock button).
Is there any way of adding those two?

In Logitech Options software you can program these buttons, however I am having issues with this software and had to uninstall it and would prefer to use XMBC.

Regards.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Logitech MX Master button

Post by phil »

Probably not. As the FAQ explains, XMBC can only remap buttons for which Windows mouse messages are generated. That is the first 5 buttons, scroll and tilt. Beyond that Windows (and thus XMBC) does not see the messages - they have to be handled by the mouse driver/custom software.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
kayteck
New User

Post by kayteck »

Thanks.

I found another interesting thing.
When I have Logitech Options installed together with XMBC, I am getting unpredictable behaviour with Office applications.

More specific:
Outlook - crashes when drag & drop attachments to email body without warning and re-lunch
Excel - when clicking on cell excel shuts down without warning and re-lunches

This does not happen every time though.

This behaviour stops when any of those apps Logitech Options or XMBC is not running.
Did anybody else found similar issues?

Is there anything I can submit so someone can investigate?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I generally don't install Options (I wrote XMBC instead - well, to be fair that was many many years ago before Options was dreamed up and we were still on 32bit SetPoint!) but then I don't have any Logitech mice with more than 5 buttons.

But, running both XMBC and Options certainly shouldn't cause office to crash - I mean, I could understand maybe options or XMBC having an issue, but causing a 3rd party program to "crash" that's bizarre (by the was what do you mean by crash? Just exiting randomly or something else?)

Looks like I may have to give in and install Options to see if I can reproduce... Maybe I'll try in a VM first! I guess what I would need to know is your XMBC config and your Options config (XMBC is easy, just send me a copy/export of your settings. I dont know enough about options other than to ask for how you have set it up (bear in mind my mice only have 5 buttons.. (Actually I bought a new mouse Logitech mouse a year or so ago when my G9 started misbehaving... I didn't like it so I repaired my G9 but it may have that extra button - I'll have to try and find it - too many mice sitting around here!).

Importantly, what version of Office?

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
kayteck
New User

Post by kayteck »

I will try to give you as much information I can.
I was also very surprised when I found (I think) the reason of the Office crashes.
I was testing for about two weeks to check if this is not only my imagination.

The full story...
I got Logitech MX master mid December. Installed Options when plugged in the mouse. After few hours of working on PC I started to have above problems with office. I thought faulty windows or office update have installed or something... but there was nothing new in the installation history. Options was only thing I have installed.
After a day of constant crashes I have uninstalled Options.. and all issues magically disappeared. I had XMBC running all the time.
I though I give it another try after few days.. and after installing Options all issues came back!
So uninstalled again and again, all issues stopped. I thought that Options is faulty or there is something other mouse related clash... then I reminded I have XMBC running in the background (hidden in the tray :).
I decided to check Options again with XMBC turned off. No issues so far... for about a week or so...

And it is ONLY Office apps affected I found during that period...

Basically what is going on:
1) Outlook - I open new email window, start writing, then I want to drop attachment from i.e. desktop and in the very moment I release the mouse button over Outlook the app closes, just disappears... And re-start fresh.
2) Excel - when mouse over the Excel window, when I click the cell and start typing, in the very moment I enter 1st character all instances of excel just shut down, disappear, and Excel re-starts fresh.

One more thing is I will try is to remove all office app specific behaviours from XMBC and check if it will help...

Please let me know how you want me to send you settings file.

Office version 2013 (15.0.5293.1000)
Windows 10 20H2 (19042.685)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I think I'm going to have trouble with that as I don't have office 2013 (I'm surprised it even runs on Windows 10!).
I can/will try with office 2019 but I suspect that's not going to be a problem! :(

Even stranger that Excel should crash only when you type with the keyboard - not sure how XMBC/Options can interfere with keyboard operations....

Removing (or simply turning off) the office related profiles/settings is a good idea to try and narrow it down. The problem is the XMBC log will be useless (because its not XMBC crashing) so unless I can recreate it (and if it works on Office 2019 I wont be able to) then I don think there is much I can do to see what is going on (not that I will be able to see what is going on with Office anyway - just what XMBC is doing - but it wont be doing anything unusual I suspect).

I'm a bit lost as to what to suggest really!
--[ Phil ]--
spitfire_ch

Post by spitfire_ch »

FYI: I do have XMB and Logi Options installed and running concurrently. The described problems don't appear in my case, but I have a newer version of Office installed (2016), and I am not using the same mouse (Trackman Ergo).

Does disabling XMB using Scroll Lock help to prevent the crashes when you are working in Office?
kayteck
New User

Post by kayteck »

So after disabling all app specific office related behaviour in XMBC crashes stopped.
For whatever reason there must have been some strange interaction going on in the background.

this is what I had set up for a scroll tilt action:

Code: Select all

<XLeft action="28" keys="{SCROLLLOCK}{RIGHT}{SCROLLLOCK}" keyaction="5" keyrepeat="50" active="true" blockmouse="true" randomisedelay="false" app="" desc="">
				<mts Lock="0" Sticky="false" StickyBlock="false" Block="true" InvV="false" InvH="false" Sensitivity="5" SensitivityY="5" NoMovementAction="6" keys="" keyaction="0" keyrepeat="0" active="true" blockmouse="true" randomisedelay="false" app="" />
			</XLeft>
			<XRight action="28" keys="{SCROLLLOCK}{LEFT}{SCROLLLOCK}" keyaction="5" keyrepeat="50" active="true" blockmouse="true" randomisedelay="false" app="" desc="">
				<mts Lock="0" Sticky="false" StickyBlock="false" Block="true" InvV="false" InvH="false" Sensitivity="5" SensitivityY="5" NoMovementAction="6" keys="" keyaction="0" keyrepeat="0" active="true" blockmouse="true" randomisedelay="false" app="" />
			</XRight>
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Were you doing that to disable XMBC then press left/right key and then enable XMBC? scrolllock (by default) is a disabler for XMBC so using scrolllock from a simkey, could cause no end of problems if it tries to disable XMBC from within a simkey sequence (Ive never tried it but I can see why it might break things!). Of course, you can/may have turned off the option to disable XMBC when scroll lock is on, but if not maybe thats related?
--[ Phil ]--