mousewheel in windows explorer

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
bernd4711
New User

mousewheel in windows explorer

Post by bernd4711 »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: Windows 10 (build 17763), 64-bit

I'm not sure if this problem is related to XMBC but maybe XMBC can be used to fix it:

The standard Explorer Window consists of two panels, drives & folders to the left, files on the right.
When using the mousewheel to scroll up and down in the (right) file-panel, it scrolls for 3 lines every time I turn the wheel - as it is set in the windows settings.
When using the mousewheel to scroll up and down in the (left) folder-panel, it scrolls only 1 line each time I turn the wheel.

My first question is: Can someone confirm this or is it a local problem on my system?
Second question: How can this be changed to the expected behaviour of scrolling 3 lines every time?

regards,
Peter
bernd4711
New User

Re: mousewheel in windows explorer

Post by bernd4711 »

really?
no one can confirm this bug?
are you not using your mouse in the windows explorer?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry, I could sworn I had already replied to this - maybe someone else asked by email and I assumed it was the same person - or maybe I failed to hit submit!

Yes I can confirm Windows does this on my machine too. Unfortunately it appears to be how Explorer has been designed - I suspect its related to "smooth" scrolling. For me it seems to scroll about 1.5 lines (I'm guessing this is some sort of smooth scrolling on the tree control).
I don't know if this behavior has changed in more recent versions of Windows?!

I have found a way to fix it in XMBC, its a little convoluted but it appears to work...
Setup a window specific profile for the tree (left) window in explorer, and for that profile change the scroll method to something like method 1 and vertical lines to 3. This does appear to work but I haven't spent a lot of time trying it.

Attached is an example profile that works for me here.
Scroll 3 lines in Explorer Tree View.xmbcs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
bernd4711
New User

Post by bernd4711 »

Thank you for your response and the attached profile,
it works perfect!
regards,
Peter