Can't disable Tilt Wheel Left or Right

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Growltiger
New User

Can't disable Tilt Wheel Left or Right

Post by Growltiger »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: 10, (20H2 - the latest)
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech M705
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): i7, 32GB
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: One day
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English, UK

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

I am new to this software. I came across it while trying to find a way to allow me to pan when using Photoshop. Normally this involves holding down the shift key and dragging with the left mouse button. I want it to work by simply holding down the middle mouse button and moving the mouse. I did as I had read and it works, I added a profile for when Photoshop is running, and configured the middle mouse button to be Simulated keys (during), [{SPACE}{LMB}]. So far so good.

The problem is that it is too easy when moving the mouse with the middle button held down, to activate the left or right tilt. Ideally I would like to deactivate left and right tilt while the middle button is held down. I don't know if this is possible, and it is clearly an advanced requirement. So I thought that initially I would simply disable Tilt Wheel Left and Tilt Wheel Right. I set these to Disable, but they still work. In case this was something specific to Photoshop I then disabled them in the Default profile. They still work in Excel and Firefox. I then tried setting them to Simulated keys, with no keys specified - and they still work.

Any suggestions please? (It is wonderful software, thanks.)
phil
Site Admin

Re: Can't disable Tilt Wheel Left or Right

Post by phil »

Hi,

Do the left/right tilt dropdown boxes highlight in orange in the XMBC setup screen when you press them? If not then something else is probably catching and handling them (logitech setpoint/options software maybe).

If they do highlight, then setting the dropdown to disable should indeed stop them interfering - and if that isnt working I will have to have a closer look. In this case, some debug log could be rather valuable... In settings -> updates & logging tab, turn on DEBUG logging. OK/Apply that change...

Then press the left tilt/right tilt in firefox (where it still works)a few times - making a note of the time (ideally to the second!). Maybe try the same tilt over some other window - photoshop etc a few times too.

Then send me a copy of the debug log (you can either paste a copy of it in to a message (or private message) here or attach the file - NOTE: Attachments are not allowed in forum threads until you have made 5 posts - they should work in private messages).

The debug log should tell me if XMBC is seeing the TILT messages, and what it is doing about them (if anything).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Growltiger
New User

Post by Growltiger »

When I select any of the pulldowns, always the top one, left button, goes orange, and no others.

I exited from Logitech Setpoint, and now the tilts are disabled, so the good news is that is solved. The orange top pulldown is still the only one to change colour, as I descrbe above.

I'm wondering if I have any reason to have Setpoint running? The only reason I can think of is to check the battery.

How about my more advanced question: Ideally I would like to deactivate left and right tilt only while the middle button is held down. Is that possible?
Growltiger
New User

Post by Growltiger »

Never mind, I don't need to do that now. I have switched to a mouse that doesn't use a tilt wheel for horizontal scrolling.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Growltiger wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:48 pm How about my more advanced question: Ideally I would like to deactivate left and right tilt only while the middle button is held down. Is that possible?
Not possible at the moment... At least, not with something useful also mapped to the middle button.

Glad you have a solution though even if it meant switching mice!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)