XMBC fails to respond to wheel/scroll depending on which app is under the mouse cursor

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
pocococo
New User

XMBC fails to respond to wheel/scroll depending on which app is under the mouse cursor

Post by pocococo »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home 1909
Mouse Information (brand/model): trackpad of Acer Aspire A515-43-L19
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc):
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no, fresh install on this computer
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: at least since 2009 on other computers
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: US English

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

I'm trying to use my laptop's trackpad to control audio volume, mapping Wheel Up/Down to Volume Up/Down. The results are inconsistent: XMBC detects and responds to Wheel Up/Down only when certain applications, but not others, are under the mouse cursor.

XMBC detects and handles Wheel events as I expect when the cursor is over these (Wheel Up/Down boxes in Setup glow orange, and events are logged in the debug log):
notepad
notepad++
old (XP-style?) control panels, e.g. Device Manager
Paint (mspaint), Paint 3D
the left-hand side (user, Documents, Settings, Pictures, Settings, Power) of the Start Menu

XMBC does not detect Wheel events when the cursor is over these (Wheel Up/Down boxes in Setup do not glow, and no events are logged in the debug log):
Firefox
Chrome
Edge
new (Vista style?) settings windows
Explorer (file manager) windows
the Windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen
the right-hand side (scrollable, alphabetically sorted list of apps) of the Start Menu
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC fails to respond to wheel/scroll depending on which app is under the mouse cursor

Post by phil »

Hi,

If the setup window does not highlight in orange for those applications (but does for others) that can only mean that something else is either swallowing the messages before XMBC sees them or something below XMBC (the mouse/touchpad driver or mouse/touchpad configuration software if there is any) is not even sending the messages in the first place but doing something different (I wouldn't expect this on a fresh install though!?!).

The only other possibility is that some process isolation thing is going on and XMBC does not have permission to see (hook) those messages. That's very unusual as XMBC is an accessibility tools and should run at a higher privilege level (without requiring elevation). But that only works with the installed version, and only when its installed under the program files folder. I don't think you mentioned if you are using portable or not?? (I guess I need to add that to the post template :)).

Try starting XMBC as administrator and see if it makes any difference - it shouldn't need this for the installed version but worth a try non-the-less to see if it makes any difference!).

PS I have never had trouble such as this on any of my systems (various recent versions of Windows 10 including 2004 and 20H2)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
pocococo
New User

Re: XMBC fails to respond to wheel/scroll depending on which app is under the mouse cursor

Post by pocococo »

Well, digging a bit more in the Touchpad settings panel, I found that Windows itself allows me to configure 3-finger scrolling to adjust volume, so I can use that and won't need to use XMBC for this after all.

I tried running XMBC as Admin as you said, but that made no difference on the outcome. BTW I have XMBC installed, not portable.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem (even if its outside XMBC!). It makes no sense however if its installed. There must be something else on configured on your system interfering with it. Unfortunately its pretty much impossible to find out what without painfully going through every single piece of software/driver running so if you have a solution, its not worth either of our time trying to progress further at this stage!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)