Scrolling by Screen in Microsoft Edge

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
mkballard
New User

Scrolling by Screen in Microsoft Edge

Post by mkballard »

XMBC Version: 2.5
Windows Version: 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech M317
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Intel
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: several years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:
I recently decided to give the new Chromium Microsoft Edge a try, and it's OK. The only significant issue I have with it is the page scrolling with my mouse wheel. My X-Mouse setting is "pages instead of lines" and the box checked for "Force Scroll..." (which I tried unchecking and made no difference) like it has always been. However, ONLY IN EDGE the wheel scrolls a few lines MORE than one page.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Scrolling by Screen in Microsoft Edge

Post by phil »

Hi,

Scroll pages instead of lines is a standard Windows setting that XMBC simple toggles on/off.
Do you have this setting set on a per profile basis (e.g. just for Edge) or globally? If its per profile, then its possible XMBC may be turning the windows setting on after its scrolled a line or two (but that would mean it would only be the first time you scrolled, not on every scroll?).

If its globally enabled (in the default profile) then I suspect this will turn out to be an Edge issue.

To check for sure that its is not XMBC. Exit XMBC and turn on scroll pages mode in the standard Windows mouse control panel (if its not left on when you exit XMBC). Then try scrolling in edge and see if the problem persists. If its does, head over and report a bug in Edge (Chromium Edge is still under development so the sooner reported the better I expect - it might even get fixed!!).

If it does not do it when XMBC is unloaded, come back and let me know and I'll try and find some time to try it here (I have been using the new edge for a while but I don't generally use scroll pages instead of lines).

Also, do you use chrome? I'd be interested if the same issue appears there (as its based on the same engine). I tend to use Chrome and Edge the least but I use Chromium (that both the above are built from) quite a lot!

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
mkballard
New User

Post by mkballard »

Hey Phil, thanks for the post.
The scroll setting is global. (I don't know how to set up app-specific settings.)
I tried turning XM off and no difference.
It happens with Edge only.
I played around with using lines instead of pages and that solves the Edge issue but creates worse problems for me in Excel.
Bottom line is I expect scrolling one page to behave exactly the same as clicking on the scroll bar or pressing the page up/down keyboard buttons for ANY application, and I guess that's just unrealistic.
Now while explaining all this, I'm wondering if my 125% display magnification setting is contributing...
mkballard
New User

Post by mkballard »

Magnification does not affect this issue.
Very frustrating and annoying.
mkballard
New User

Post by mkballard »

My solution is to create a separate profile for Excel. That is probably obvious to anyone but me!
I started using XMBC years ago only because I wanted my mouse wheel button to double-click. I never bothered to learn much else.