Mouse button 4 and 5 not detected by XMBC

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
dogstarrb
New User

Mouse button 4 and 5 not detected by XMBC

Post by dogstarrb »

XMBC Version: v2.19.2
Windows Version: 64 bit Win 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitec m570
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): unsure what is needed here
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: new user
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English QWERTY

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: I have only just started trying to use XMBC, but my button 4 and 5 do not appear to be detected-- when I press them, nothing highlights in the program as which button I am pressing. I am aware of an issue with other programs not detecting button 5 (standard mapped to back) but not button 4, which still functions in my browser as a forward button, so I know the computer itself is able to detect the button press. I am able to bind to MB3 (middle mouse click) perfectly fine. Any suggestions as to how to correct this?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Mouse button 4 and 5 not detected by XMBC

Post by phil »

Do you have the Logitech software installed? Quite often that can intercept or change the button configuration, and as I have found with my Logitech mice, they can be reconfigured through the Logitech SetPoint/Options software to send different messages (often the tilt wheel sends button 4 and 5 and button 4 and 5 do different things by default).

In my Logitech mouse, the mouse itself can store different profiles (configured through setpoint (its an old G9 mouse). I had to use SetPoint (now called Options I think) to change the button behavior back to "windows default" not Logitech default. Then XMBC would see buttons 4 and 5 (as would any windows application as BACK/FORWARD). At that point I uninstalled SetPoint never for it to be installed again :).

Your mouse will be different (I suspect it does not have any profiles on the device itself) but if Options/Setpoint is installed, I suspect there will be a way to make it behave as any normal (non-Logitech) 5 button mouse. I just don't know off the top of my head the correct things to look for/change. If you can configure button 4 & 5 to BACK/FORWARD then try that first.

I think I do have Options installed on another machine with my Logitech wireless M720 so I will try and have a look on there if you cant figure it out (not today though as that machine is not here!).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)