Chording issues

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Bakamono
New User

Chording issues

Post by Bakamono »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: Win 10 2004 Home 64bit
Mouse Information (brand/model): Kensington Slimblade, 4 buttons + scroll function
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Acer Nitro AN515-43 (Ryzen 5 3550H, 2x8 GB 2400Mhz ddr4, Gtx 1650 mobile)
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: About one week
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: EN, US International

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: After being being disappointed with the (for my need) limited options the official KensingtonWorks software provided for my newly acquired trackball, I found mention of this software as a superior alternative. While I'm deeply impressed with the potential of the offered features and will continue to use this software, there's a couple of issues that have proven to be frustrating.
1) Buttons getting stuck on chording. In trying to simulate the KensingtonWorks feature of having additional commands on simultaneous press of either both top or both bottom buttons, I tried to set it up so both top buttons would trigger middle mouse (by chording top left followed by top right and also the other way round with delay on a timer of 200ms). This would cause the function to get stuck and the individual buttons to not register subsequently unless repeated pressing of various combinations or sequences would cause it to get unstuck. I have since tried chording for other buttons, and it seems to happen less commonly with single commands than with sticky commands (middle mouse, change movement to scroll, lower cursor speed). When a button would get stuck, trying to deactivate the sticky command by using the same chord when stuck commonly gives the bad chord red cross cursor, it also sometimes shows one of the buttons as blue and one as orange in the setup window.
2) Specifically with change movement to scroll while chorded, it would register, change cursor, then upon trying to deactivate the sticky it would sometimes change the cursor back to normal but still be stuck moving to scroll.
3) There's no way to automatically disable the program when a device is unplugged. I understand that it can't differentiate between devices that send button inputs, but I would personally convenient if it could detect and only enable when my trackball is present, as the exotic remapping used for that device makes the trackpad unusable when it activates after removal of the trackball. I get that scroll lock is an option, and I will have use that for the time being, but using a laptop without a dedicated scroll lock button and having to use fn+f12 to activate that is rather impractical, so if it would be at all possible to tie an activation of a profile to the presence of a specific hardware ID for example would be quite helpful.
As previously stated, the sheer options this program provide is undoubtedly impressive, and I will continue to use it in its current state.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Chording issues

Post by phil »

Hi,

1. I'll add the chording problems to the bug list so they will get investigated when I get a chance. Hopefully I will be able to recreate it with my common mouse, if not I'll get back to you when I have a chance/time to look at it

2. Same applies as above - clearly a bug.

3. This one is an interesting idea. I expect I can monitor for device plugged/unplugged messages from somewhere (I know they exist but have never looked for them before so I'm not sure how easy it will be) and use that as a trigger to enable/disable XMBC - I will add this one to the feature request list and see what I can figure out.

No promises on timescales at the moment I'm afraid. I have a ton of stuff to do and have not found much time recently to look into XMBC - life and other priorities getting in the way :( !
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)