Input delay

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
MagnaMess
New User

Input delay

Post by MagnaMess »

Hello, Phil! Thanks for your app, it's great. I have some interesting (for me) question: if I don't remap button (option ** No Change (Don't Intercept) **), XMBC it still shows when the button is pressed. I know that XMBC use hooks, and for display clicks, it must interfere in queue of commands sent by the mouse driver. If so, does XMBC create input lag even without key remapping?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Input delay

Post by phil »

Of course it does!. But then, so does anything else taking CPU cycles on your PC - anything you are running.
Whats more, if what you are running takes time away from XMBC, it can cause even more lag - thats why XMBC runs at a higher process/thread priority.

Having said that, XMBC is highly optimized so if you notice the lag I'd be very surprised (unless say you have something else steeling 100% of the CPU - sometimes that does have a minor impact - and if thats the case, you could try upping the priority to "realtime" if its not already there).

The highlighting of the boxes in the setup will only happen if the setup window is open but in any case does not hold up the hook more than a single if statement and a "postmessage" which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Checking for active profiles and the likes takes far more resources - (all done in a different thread to the hook so again, should have minimal impact, but nothing is going to be no impact!)

Generally, the less XMBC has to do, the lower any "lag" will be. If its as much as a millisecond I'd be surprised under normal circumstances. Of course there really isnt much way of telling - debug logging will provide timestamps to the millisecond, but turning on debug logging slows things down a lot as its writing lots and lots to disk and even with caching thats going to massively increase the CPU overhead!)

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
MagnaMess
New User

Re: Input delay

Post by MagnaMess »

Ok, thank you very much, Phil, you've calmed me down.