Logitech MX Master 3 "wheel mode shift" button not recognised

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
derei
New User

Logitech MX Master 3 "wheel mode shift" button not recognised

Post by derei »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: 7 Pro, x64
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech MX Master 3
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): irrelevant to the topic
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): first time trying XMBC
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): N/A
How long have you used XMBC?: 10 minutes
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: EN

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

All mouse buttons are being recognized by the software, except the "wheel mode shift" button that is just behind the main scroll wheel. The button in cause IS programmable, because the dedicated software (Logitech Options) allows it, but XMBC does not recognize it as a button.
Also, if it is possible to add this button in the XMBC software, altering its (default - wheel mode shift) behavior should automatically offer two options to the user: wheel mode: free/ratcheting (as the mode shift button will not be available anymore).

I am aware that it sounds somehow conflicting with Logitech Options Software, but the whole point of the request is to completely move away from that crappy app (if anyone disagrees is a crappy app, i can rant about it, with arguments).

Thanks for considering this.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Logitech MX Master 3 "wheel mode shift" button not recognised

Post by phil »

Sorry, I'm not considering this - as it is simply not possible. The FAQ covers why XMBC will only work with up to five buttons + scroll/tilt - that is all Windows mouse hooks support, and that is how XMBC works.

It's a little sad that I have to keep repeating this, after all, what is the point of a FAQ if no one ever looks at it?!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
derei
New User

Post by derei »

I saw the post mentioning 5 buttons, and at the same time I saw 9 inputs in the software interface... that is 4 more than 5, therefore the understandable confusion. I assumed the 5 buttons limitation was obsolete.

I may not fully understand how 5 buttons turn into 9, but if there is a logic behind this, I'd be grateful if you are willing to share it.

Cheers!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi,

5 Buttons (left, right, middle, 4th and 5th (4 and 5 are known internally in Windows a XButton1 and 2 - hence the name of the software!) and then there is scroll up, scroll down, tilt left & tilt right. In total that makes 9 configurable items, 5 of which are buttons. I thought that it was clear from the labels next to each dropdown in the interface - if not, how can I make it clearer?

Scrolling and tilt are not buttons and they behave differently (they don't send a discrete press/release like a button) - but they are exposed through Windows mouse hooks. Other buttons on the mouse are not seen by Windows without special drivers/software from the device manufacturer. They are not sent through the Windows mouse message hook that XMBC taps into. So XMBC can't see them, block them or change them!

Sorry, its not an obsolete comment - there shouldn't really be anything obsolete in the FAQ but I confess though I do add to it occasionally, its possible that there is some old stuff in there - not this one though - as its probably the most asked question! :).

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
derei
New User

Post by derei »

Thank you phil, you have been most kind to explain (once again) a question that is being asked so many times. I understand now why there are 9 configurable items in the software. Indeed was a bit confused at the beginning.