"Task View" assignment crashes Windows Explorer

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
ghostikon
New User

"Task View" assignment crashes Windows Explorer

Post by ghostikon »

XMBC Version:
Windows Version:
10.0.18363 Build 18363
Mouse Information (brand/model):
Redragon 'Dagger'
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc):
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 2600
32GB DDR4 3000
EVGA RTX 2060 Super
500GB Samsung EVO SSD (OS & XMBC Drive)
several other storage drives.
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?):
Maybe? Not sure when the last update was.
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?):
Yes, but not right away. Last installed update was 6/10/20
How long have you used XMBC?:
several years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?:
US

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

Been happening for only about a week, or so, now. I have Task View assigned to Mouse Button 4 and it's been frequently crashing Windows Explorer and the Task Bar. I'll go to click it, and when it's not wanting to work properly it will give me the blue windows processing wheel instead of executing the Task View function, then my whole taskbar will reset.
phil
Site Admin

Re: "Task View" assignment crashes Windows Explorer

Post by phil »

Hi,

That's very strange... All "Task View" does is send the keys WIN+TAB - so I'm not sure how that could cause explorer to crash - unless of course the problem is actually in Windows explorer - or something else thats interacting badly with Windows Explorer!?

If you use the keyboard (WIN+TAB) - does it always work OK or does it also crash?
I don't tend to use it much but I just had a quick test here (I'm on the most recent Windows 10 v2004) and it worked over and over - how frequent is this crash?

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
ghostikon
New User

Post by ghostikon »

phil wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:02 pm Hi,

That's very strange... All "Task View" does is send the keys WIN+TAB - so I'm not sure how that could cause explorer to crash - unless of course the problem is actually in Windows explorer - or something else thats interacting badly with Windows Explorer!?

If you use the keyboard (WIN+TAB) - does it always work OK or does it also crash?
I don't tend to use it much but I just had a quick test here (I'm on the most recent Windows 10 v2004) and it worked over and over - how frequent is this crash?

Regards,
Phil
Thanks for the reply Phil.

I will try using WIN+TAB more often to A/B test it. But, I've never noticed issues with the native shortcut. I use the X-Mouse shortcut very often, and I've been noticing that it crashes Explorer maybe 1 out of 10-15 times, or so. It will just hang and then my taskbar will reset. Started only recently and ss far as I can see, it's random. I don't notice any other system load that might indicate it's something else.

Maybe I should try reinstalling XMBC? Could be some corrupt files.

Thanks,
Eric
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

You could try reinstalling XMBC but I doubt it will help. corrupt files is unlikely - for starters there are only two files and it wont run if they are "modified" or corrupt. And you settings file (which wont get removed when reinstalling by default) could get corrupt but thats going to impact the configuration, and not the operation (as in the way it sends the keys wont change).

But as I say, XMBC simply sends the keys (using MS's SendInput API so I would be very surprised it it were XMBC causing the problem (of course I cant rule it out). I think its much more likely a windows problem or something else interfering with the explorer process. XMBC 2.19.2 has been around since feb/march so again, unlikely to just change its behavior.

I confess I'm a bit stumped on this one - not sure really what to suggest. For now, perhaps I'll wait for a bit and see how you get on using the keyboard WIN+TAB combos - to see if you can reproduce the effect that way. If not I'm not entirely sure what else to suggest at this stage. I will try and have a quick look to confirm that it is *only* sending the keys as I believe it to be doing (cant do that right now as its too late here and I need sleep!).

One thing you could try playing with is the "delay between simulated keystrokes" setting in the advanced settings tab - maybe increase it a little bit - sometimes XMBC sends things too fast - although I doubt thats going to be the case here, its worth a try.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
ghostikon
New User

Post by ghostikon »

Hi Phil.

Thank you again for your help and suggestions. I will continue to use the keystroke to see if I can reproduce the crash.

I'm also thinking that there's a possibility it's my Mouse software that could be interfering randomly--I will check those settings and diagnose that way. My mouse software has keybinding settings so it may be interfering with XMBC's sending of the keystroke.

But, I will also play around with your advanced setting suggestions.

It could very well just be that Windows is retarded (you know...because, Windows :lol: )
ghostikon
New User

Post by ghostikon »

I also use DisplayFusion, so I wonder if that might be conflicting with XMBC? Have you ever heard of any issues between them before?