Unable to save the settings file

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Elmojomo
New User

Unable to save the settings file

Post by Elmojomo »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: Win10 Pro 1909 x64
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech G502
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Core i9-9900K, 32GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe Primary, 500GB NVMe 2nd, 2TB SATA HDD 3rd., eVGA RTX2070 GPU
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No, new install
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): see above
How long have you used XMBC?: couple years, love it!
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English/English Std

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: After a recent Windows update meltdown, I had to fully reinstall Windows and all software on my machine, including XMBC. As part of the reinstall, I imported my previous profile from a USB flash drive. Somehow, it's locked onto that path, which no longer exists because the drive has been removed. I've completely uninstalled XMBC and even deleted the folders in my user appdata path, but when I reinstall XMBC and try to create/save a new profile setting, I get the same error, and it refers back to that missing path of the flash drive. How can I get it to forget about that path and use a new one from scratch?

Fantastic program, by the way! I have nerve damage in my fingers from years of hardcore CAD drafting, and XMBC allows me to remap certain motions to side buttons, which reduces finger pressure and pain. You can now say that your product is a medical device! :D
Elmojomo
New User

Re: Unable to save the settings file

Post by Elmojomo »

Well, as usual, just about the time I give up and ask for help, I figured it out. :roll:
For anyone running across this issue in the future, here's the solution, or at least A solution...
1) Open XMBC setup
2) Click [Save Profile] button at bottom left
3) Create a new profile in the correct location (likely your user 'appdata' folder)
4) Click [Save]
5) When asked if you want to save your changes or whatever it says (I don't recall the exact wording), choose NO *This is actually referring to the incorrect profile path you're attempting to purge out.*
6) Rejoice! You now have a clean profile in the proper location that you can configure however you need. An alternate method would be to plug the flash drive back in temporarily (or whatever you need to do to make the faulty path available to XMBC again), then save it in the new, correct location.

I hope this helps someone avoid some frustration in the future.
Thanks again for such a great software, Phil!
I'm gonna figure out how to get some bitcoin to you one of these days... :mrgreen:
phil
Site Admin

Re: Unable to save the settings file

Post by phil »

Glad you figured it out - sometimes writing the details in a post can give ideas I guess :).
When you "load" a profile, it switches XMBC to use that file and remembers/points to it for future reference, its not strictly an "import" over existing settings!

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)