I can't understand button assignments settings

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
viza

I can't understand button assignments settings

Post by viza »

I need the mouse buttons to work as usual, but with an additional press of the function keys, their actions would change. I still did not understand how to do this, because the assignment of function keys creates a permanent combination and not a temporary one as I would like.
Why not to make as is done for example in the Adobe products or Pot Player mouse settings - very simple to understand and use?
It must be additional separate settings for function keys and their combinations, which change mouse actions only while you press and hold them.
phil
Site Admin

Re: I can't understand button assignments settings

Post by phil »

Sorry its not clear what you are asking. I don't use adobe or pot player so that does'nt really help me!
If you want buttons to change when keys are pressed, you should be looking at layer modifier keys and setting up multiple layers.

Maybe if you could explain what you want in a little more detail, I (or someone else) could assist in your configuration.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
viza

Post by viza »

I see no difference between the layers settings and even don’t understand how can I temporary activate one or another. :( If the function keys or their combinations could do it while holding, that would be easier to understand.
Then XMBC will require 7 layers:
1 layer activating with holding Ctrl
2 layer activating with holding Shift
3 layer activating with holding Alt
4 layer activating with holding Ctrl + Alt
5 layer activating with holding Ctrl + Shift
6 layer activating with holding Shift + Alt
7 layer activating with holding Ctrl + Shift + Alt
Or simply each new layer must have check box setting for each function key to activate this layer.
Without a screenshot, it’s very difficult to explain what I expect. If you want to see, remove the spaces and try to look at this link:
h ttps ://ww w. dropbox . com/s/kqrxqj347y71d4r/Mouse%20buttons.jpg?dl=0
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yes you can do that.... Use layer modifier keys in settings...
Layer modifier keys switch layers while the key is held down. Not exactly like your picture but the same effect.
And XMBC can have up to 10 layers.

Have you checked the manual - that describes how to use layer modifier keys (Global Settings – Modifier Keys) I wont repeat that here unless I have to!

Beware that if holding a key down to change layers, your choice of key can be important - because (for example) if you choose CTRL to activate layer 2 then be aware, that CTRL+Left click may behave differently - depends what your doing and in what program.

NOTE: Regarding your picture with double click dropdowns: Detecting double click independently from single click is simply not practically possible globally in mouse hooks (which is how XMBC intercepts buttons) - primarily because it would have to block the single click until the double click time expires, else it would enact the single click and double click action. Blocking the single click will a) introduce click lag and b) not work in programs that block injected input (as the single click would need to be re-injected after it has determined that you didn't want to double click!). That's why there is no double click settings.
--[ Phil ]--
viza

Post by viza »

phil wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:32 pm NOTE: Regarding your picture with double click dropdowns: Detecting double click independently from single click is simply not practically possible globally in mouse hooks (which is how XMBC intercepts buttons) - primarily because it would have to block the single click until the double click time expires, else it would enact the single click and double click action. Blocking the single click will a) introduce click lag and b) not work in programs that block injected input (as the single click would need to be re-injected after it has determined that you didn't want to double click!). That's why there is no double click settings.
Yeah, double click is not usefull, but it works only localy for PotPlayer, while it is on focus.

And what do you think about such action when you pressing the left mouse button while the right one is already pressed? Many years ago, one used program had such option and it was VERY convenient. Is it possible to use this action now?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Button Chording? Yes thats there already.. It has its limitations but it is very useful in some cases.
--[ Phil ]--
viza

Post by viza »

phil wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am Button Chording? Yes thats there already.. It has its limitations but it is very useful in some cases.
Fine! But again, it is difficult to understand how to setup new chord and assgn an action. In addition, from description it is not clear whether it is necessary to press two buttons simultaneously or sequentially?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Urm, effectively sequentially - in fact it is impossible to do any other way. It is impossible to press two buttons at exactly the same time in Windows as the button presses are sent through a queue and one message will ALWAYS come before the other. If you do manage it, Windows will still send them in sequential order so it is impossible to get "simultaneous" clicks.

The button which is defined as "Button chording" needs to be pressed first or appear before the other button's message - if that's difficult, then both buttons should be setup as chording that the chorded action set the same - but in my experience, its easy to get used to this behaviour.

I'm sorry if you find XMBC difficult to understand. XMBC is an advanced tool and the manual is relatively simplistic - aiming to give overview of the basic functionality. Its also only in English (and Russian) as no one is compelled to nor has (as of yet) provided any other translations - sorry. All translation packs are made by the community in their own time and are appreciated but I can not support them nor validate them.

XMBC is a <FREE> hobby project that I devote my spare time to (which is increasing difficult to find these days), I only speak English and for that I apologise. But if you can do better, or find something better than costs money, feel free to go do it.
--[ Phil ]--
viza

Post by viza »

Ok, I am sorry to take your time and happy for yor quick answers, wich are more than RTFM :)
Your XMBC is realy advanced, I can donate for you beer via Paypal :cheers:
Or, in gratitude, I can translate XMBC into Lithuanian. However, I think that only few people in Lithuania know about this program. In addition, many of us understand English well enough.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Dont worry about the donation -its really not required... As for the translation - thats up to you - if you do make one send it over and I'll include it but if you think its not required then dont worry about it.

I'm happy to answer questions with a bit more than RTFM usually :) sometimes I'm a bit busy with work and other things going on - but I'm sure thats the same for everyone! Don't let my answer earlier put you off asking questions - I was a bit grumpy haha!
--[ Phil ]--
viza

Post by viza »

phil wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am Button Chording? Yes thats there already.. It has its limitations but it is very useful in some cases.
I miss extended chord option to assign for desired button more actions.
For example right + left buttons click do one action ant right + left double click or holding do another
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD