Problems with the new Edge and scrolling

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
4ster

Problems with the new Edge and scrolling

Post by 4ster »

XMBC Version: 2.19.1
Windows Version: 10.0.18363.752
Mouse Information (brand/model): Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Mouse
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Intel i7
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: A lot :)
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: EN

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

I'm using the program mainly to add a "switch tabs with mouse wheel" feature to programs. Currently I have a problem with Edge. Video and settings image are attached. After trying to live with it, it became annoying enough that I decided to post about it. As you can see form the video, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure why, and I'm not sure what causes it, but as you can see I was able to reproduce it twice in a short time on the video. I didn't experience such issues with a similar setup of Notepad++ and of Chrome on another computer.

Edge version: Version 83.0.478.13 (Official build) beta (64-bit)
Although this issue persists for a long time already, so I don't think the version matters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Problems with the new Edge and scrolling

Post by phil »

I think I get it from the video, but to be clear, what is the problem?
Is it that XMBC is failing to detect that you are over edge occasionally? I seem to recall having such a problem with Chrome and having to put a significant amount of work into fixing it.

Is the "new" edge based on chrome or old edge (I'm not familiar with the version numbers)? Ive not used the new edge yet (but then I tend not to use edge in general). The window under the cursor is cached because to detect it every time the pixel moves one pixel, is prohibitive and slow due to the amount of work it needs to do - so I'm guessing something is wrong in that area. The workarounds I put in for chrome may need to be applied to Edge too (esp. if this is the new Egde that is chromium based).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
4ster

Post by 4ster »

phil wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:29 pm Is it that XMBC is failing to detect that you are over edge occasionally?
Yes. Sometimes the mouse is there, but I scroll and nothing happens. Then I move the mouse out and in again, and it works. It's nice that XMouse Button Control highlights the item in the list when it detects a match, so it can clearly be seen in the video.
phil wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:29 pm Is the "new" edge based on chrome or old edge (I'm not familiar with the version numbers)?
It's the one based on Chrome, known informally as Edgium :)
phil wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:29 pm The window under the cursor is cached because to detect it every time the pixel moves one pixel, is prohibitive and slow due to the amount of work it needs to do - so I'm guessing something is wrong in that area. The workarounds I put in for chrome may need to be applied to Edge too (esp. if this is the new Egde that is chromium based).
Hmm, interesting. I wonder why other programs, such as Notepad++, don't need such workarounds?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

The chrome problem was because it uses multiple processes within the one window. Each tab can be hosted in a different process - which is a bit alien to normal Windows applications... Only browser seem to do this. And XMBC has a problem with that because the parent window, for example, may be in a different process... Worse that that, two chrome windows may share a process and may not. It all plays havoc with the caching of the process/window under the cursor and working out if it needs to re-check it as the mouse moves.

I suspect that the workarounds I put in need to be adapted for Edgium - I suppose its about time I installed it and had a play around.

Notepad++ is nice traditional single process app...

I will try and get some fix in to 2.20 (but note, that I will be releasing 2.19.2 soon with an emergency fix for crashes that some are reporting) - it wont get into that version as thats pretty much ready to go (and in testing already).
--[ Phil ]--
4ster

Post by 4ster »

OK, makes sense. Looking forward for the new version! Perhaps some universal detection can be implemented. There are many Chromium-based browsers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_ ... n_Chromium

Opera, Vivaldi, Brave, and like 20 others.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

4ster wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:07 pm OK, makes sense. Looking forward for the new version! Perhaps some universal detection can be implemented. There are many Chromium-based browsers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_ ... n_Chromium

Opera, Vivaldi, Brave, and like 20 others.
Yes and they all behave slightly differently, have different class names and process names - which makes universal a bit of a pipe dream! Same goes to any application really - there are so few "standards" as to how Windows applications are written, how they look and feel, layout windows/sub-winows etc. Those that do exist are often not followed (even and quite frequently by Microsoft themselves) that the its just no feasible to have generic anything really :(.
--[ Phil ]--
4ster

Post by 4ster »

Depending on the nature of the workaround, perhaps it's possible to allow the user to add it? Like a checkbox or a list of rules?
Thinking about myself, currently I'm OK with just Edgium working properly, but who knows, I might try a different Chromium-based browser one day.
4ster

Post by 4ster »

Any news? It's been almost a year...
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Ive not looked at XMBC in almost a year, so probably nothing to report (or I would have done so about a year ago).
Sorry, this year has been a bit messed up on so many level - XMBC has not been my priority (it never is, but its not even made it near the top this year!)
--[ Phil ]--
4ster

Post by 4ster »

Totally understandable. It's just that I scroll my browser tabs every day, many times a day, and some of those attempts don't work because of this bug. XMouse Button Control is very flexible, and I consider myself a power user, so I wish I had a way to fix that manually by enabling that "Chrome mode" hack for Edge.

In any case, thank you for all you've done with this tool. Stay safe.