Changing the Mouse Cursor via Layers

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
drawbars
New User

Changing the Mouse Cursor via Layers

Post by drawbars »

XMBC Version: 2.19
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro
Mouse Information (brand/model): J-Tech V628P
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): i5, 24GB RAM
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): n/a
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): n/a
How long have you used XMBC?: 10 days
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: US 104-key std.

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

This is not really a 'problem,' per se ...

I have set up four Layers, mostly to change what Button 4 and 5 do at any given time. Sometimes they are pass thru; other times they lock the X- and Y-axis; or they revert to PgUp and PgDn, etc. I have trouble keeping track of them as Layer 1, 2, 3, etc. so I created icons for the taskbar. For example, the axis lock is an icon of a lock. When I change the Layer, the taskbar icon changes, but the taskbar isn't always visible; and anyway, it's not all that easy to see while working. What I'd really like to do is change the cursor to match.

I can see a way to map a new cursor to a Profile, but not a Layer. Am I missing something? Does anyone know of an easy way to do this? Mapping to applications doesn't make sense for me, because I often use more than one Layer in each app.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
-Bruce Wahler
phil
Site Admin

Re: Changing the Mouse Cursor via Layers

Post by phil »

Hi Bruce,

Changing the cursor is a new feature in 2.19 and currently there is no way to change the cursor on a per-layer basis (no one thought of that :)). What you can do is turn on layer indicators on the cursor (on the Pointer tab in settings) - which will overlay the layer number on the existing cursor - which should give you a visual cue of the layer - thats the best I can offer at the moment.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
drawbars
New User

Re: Changing the Mouse Cursor via Layers

Post by drawbars »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply. I've already got the numbered cursors enabled, but I find myself asking, "Wait, was Layer 2 or 3 the one with Page Up?" :?

It's not a big deal, still a great utility. I'll probably get used the numbers over time. Consider it a future enhancement request!

Regards,
-BW