XMBC causes mouse both left and right clicks to not respond

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
ntbone
New User

XMBC causes mouse both left and right clicks to not respond

Post by ntbone »

XMBC Version: 2.19 Portable or Installed
Windows Version: Windows 10 build 1909
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech M525
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Core i7 3770, 32 gigs of ram
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: Over a year
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English, standard

I have the mouse buttons left and right swapped. No other modifications made. I logged into my computer after being away and I was unable to click on anything. At first I thought the system was unresponsive but after a minute it reacted to the clicks and then resumed not responding. Keyboard worked fine but since I couldn't remember the process name I uninstalled it. Once removed the mouse worked fine.

I decided to download the portable version and run it, instead of reinstalling. Once launched the mouse worked for a moment or 2 and then stopped working again. Killing the process and everything is back to normal.

Idle CPU usage is currently around 13% for browsers and a few other system processes. Nothing unusual.

The mouse wheel still worked fine. Mouse cursor would still move around the screen but neither left or right clicking had any effect.
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC causes mouse both left and right clicks to not respond

Post by phil »

Had your PC been asleep or in hibernate?
Someone else has reported XMBC crashing / not responding when waking from sleep.
Maybe this is the same issue. If it is, I have a fix - but haven't had any confirmation yet that it works in all cases (hence holding off on publishing it).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Another question....

How did you swap your left/right buttons - did you simply set the left button to "Right click" and the right to "Left click" or do you use "Switch primary and secondary buttons" in the options tab - or the Windows option to switch buttons?

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
NoPostageNecessary
New User

Post by NoPostageNecessary »

phil wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:08 pm How did you swap your left/right buttons - did you simply set the left button to "Right click" and the right to "Left click" or do you use "Switch primary and secondary buttons" in the options tab
Is there a difference between the left/right on the Layer tabs vs. "Switch primary and secondary buttons" in the options tab?

I'm currently using "Switch..." in the options tab only but it doesn't seem to be working (mouse handedness doesn't change). I'm reading the forum topics to find a match with my scenario before I post more specifics, but this topic gave me pause. :)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

In the settings->options tab its global - and I believe (from memory I havn't actually checked) it modifys the Windows system option (mouse control panel) to swap left/right button function. On the profile tab, its per-profile (as in each profile can switch differently). Every time the active profile changes, it has to check the setting and if different, it changes the system setting if need be (I think).

The fact that it changes the system option (assuming my memory is correct) should mean that its just telling Windows to switch and XMBC itself does nothing special at all (which is why its odd that that OP's problem even exists, unless he is doing it differently. The fact he never replied leaves me to suspect he either gave up or figured out what was wrong, or forgot to come back and see if anyone answered - who really knows!)
--[ Phil ]--