Block original mouse input not working with a specific application

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
IgnoreMe
New User

Block original mouse input not working with a specific application

Post by IgnoreMe »

XMBC Version: 2.19
Windows Version: 10 Home 64-bit
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech/g600; seenda m557; symantec trackpad
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Intel i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: 1 hour
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English (United States)

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: The problem: "Block original mouse input" function not working in a specific game.

From what I searched, it seems that the administrator frequently mentions that certain games block and/or otherwise interfere with injection so that could be the problem.

I changed mouse scroll up to " [ " key. Changed mouse scroll down to " ] "
This function works perfectly in Default profile which I tested in explorer and browser windows, so that the mouse will not scroll but instead press the appropriate key.

I then applied this same profile (copied to a new application profile) and while the game registers the simulated key, it also still scrolls despite the "Block original mouse input" option being selected.

Unfortunately I was not able to find this specific problem in searching the forum. If it helps the game is Honkai Impact 3 by Mihoyo.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Block original mouse input not working with a specific application

Post by phil »

Hi,

XMBC works with Windows mouse messages by hooking into the mouse message queue (lowlevelmousehook). This hook allows XMBC to see messages, block them and do something else instead. Unfortunately many games use a different tech, called direct input (or Raw Input which I believe is an older version). This is a "low latency" input system thats really close to the driver and operates at a lower level than the lowlevel mousehooks that XMBC taps into. As such, XMBC can not interfere with it, making it impossible to block the direct input messages.Normally in these cases, the game will get the original message (the wheel in this case) AND the remapped message - the key. I'm afraid this is probably what you are seeing here, and there is nothing I or XMBC can do about it :(.

It really depends on the game, and how it processes its input as to if it will work or not.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)