Will a change of monitors cause issues?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
dvertz
New User

Will a change of monitors cause issues?

Post by dvertz »

For almost 30 days I have had XMBC working perfectly.

On Sunday, I changed out monitors from U2417 to E2417H. This morning I had something weird happen. I started working and the profiles were no longer activating. I searched the settings and couldn't find anything wrong. I figured it was a glitch upon starting the machine and quit XMBC to restart. I couldn't find an entry in the Windows 10 Menu. So While looking for the installed location. I came to Apps & Features. I figured while I was there I'd just go ahead and install the new version I knew was available. Once that was installed, I still had the same issue. Profiles not activating. Then I noticed the Left/Right mouse buttons had wrong assignments. Fixed them. One Profile still not working. Found that it was using Windows Class that it shouldn't use. Fixed that and then the Profile worked. Ultimately, It changed all profiles back to a test state I was once using.

So I started to save the list of profiles But had a little issue with figuring out which button to use. Export or Save Profile. To me they sound the same. I had to look at the User Guide (which was not so helpful). I think the Save Profile should be plural for Save Profiles or Save All Profiles and the user guide needs as small of a change to include the file type on save profiles like the Export defines.

And just while composing this post, I got a notification of a new version. It seems 2.19 is NOT running. It was installed (found it in the start menu). Went into settings to look for a "start with windows" setting and could not find one. Looks I created one that goes to the portable version. But for a feature to work I had to install instead of running the portable. I Deleted the shortcut I created in the Startup folder, but does a feature of start with windows exist and I am missing it?

After fixing the profiles in 2.18.8 and then closing and starting 2.19, the profiles remained fixed. I don't think the loss of settings had anything to do with a wrong version running. The incorrect profiles were from January.

Thanks.

v2.18.8 (x64) portable / 2.19 installed, Using software for about 6 months
Redragonlite Perdition Lazer Gaming 18 Button Mouse Model M-901
(yes, I realize that XMBC will only work with 3 of those buttons)
Home: AMD FX™-6100 Six-Core,3.3 GHz, 8GB RAM, Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Edition, 64-bit
Office: Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz, 32GB RAM, Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Edition, 64-bit
Home: English 104 Logitech keyboard
Office: English 110 Corsair K55 RGB keyboard
phil
Site Admin

Re: Will a change of monitors cause issues?

Post by phil »

Changing monitors should not make any difference, unless you run them at a different DPI - then in theory there could be a difference (but there shouldnt be).

But the rest of your message seems to be nothing to do with monitors :). In fact there seems to be an awful lot going on here - and its not really cl3ear what state you were or are now in...

1. If you INSTALL XMBC then it should start with windows - it does this during installation. There is no setting in XMBC itself (because it would require admin access to change such a setting, it was never exposed in the GUI because XMBC must not require admin access to run). You can enable/disable this in the "Startup" tab of the Windows Task Manager (or using MSConfig on Windows 7 or older).

2. If you use the portable version, then you have to start it (or setup a shortcut to start it manually).

3. The location of the settings file will be different between the portable version and installed version (and you can change the location of the settings file during installation) - so switching between the two could cause different settings to be loaded.

4. When installing (or upgrading) the installer always creates a backup of the existing settings file (it never removes these backups so yuou should be able to roll back to any backup (manually) by renaming the files.

5. the Yes "Save Profile" button IS confusing it should be Save All Profiles (actually all settings, not just profiles). In fact it shouldn't mention PROFILE at all on that button "Save All Settings" would be better . Maybe I'll add that to the todo list for the next version. The Export button exports just the selected "application/window profile". If you use the "Load profile" button you can load a different settings file - and then XMBC remembers that next time you run it - until you load another. This could in theory mean you make changes and they get saved in that profile file rather than the default (although it shouldn't reload the default unless that file no longer exists)

Let me know if I have missed anything or if you need any more assistance/information.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
dvertz
New User

Post by dvertz »

I apologize. You are correct. I should have broken the message apart and into different posts. That way when someone is searching for something that may be related, they wouldn't have to read things that don't apply to them. It was just a series of things starting with one so I streamed them together.

I think you provided a lot of information and I think you hit on what went wrong. I think it might have been the portable version still starting up. I have completely removed that version. I worked all day today without any issues. Profiles switched exactly the way they have been.

Thanks for taking the time to explain how the portable vs installed version saves its settings.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Glad that helped - let me know if something still isn't right - to be honest, its almost a week since 2.19 was released, and I'm almost surprised (pleasantly) that someone hasn't had a problem! I hope that's a sign that the extended testing was warranted and that I havn't just jinxed it!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)