Open windows menu with a mouse button

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
myrath
New User

Open windows menu with a mouse button

Post by myrath »

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

Dear friends,

Does anyone know if I can activate the Windows menu (like when you press on the windows key of the keyboard) with a mouse shortkey?

I have noticed that I can activate programs via Xmouse button shortkey - Is there a program that opens Windows start menu?

Thank you very much (I use the latest version of Xmouse and I only use button held because other options don't work for me).
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Re: Open windows menu with a mouse button

Post by Kukurykus »

{LWIN} in Simulated Keys.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
myrath
New User

Post by myrath »

Thanks, but stimulated keys blocking the button held mechanism.
Any other suggestions? :(
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

No it doesn't. Use SimKeys in Button Held or describe what exactly happens.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
myrath
New User

Post by myrath »

Found a way:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/8078 ... mand-line/

Yet it seems to work only when I am in the desktop menu...

Any solution?
Last edited by myrath on Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

You may also use Simulated Keystroke RUN command to run .vbs file.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
myrath
New User

Post by myrath »

Kukurykus wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:55 pm You may also use Simulated Keystroke RUN command to run .vbs file.
Hi, thanks.
I used button held to open a VBS file that I created, but it opens the windows menu only when I am in the desktop window, but almost never when I open any other window.

Is there a solution?

Thanks
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

If that is not Default profile then you should untick "Only send if profile's process is active' in SimKeys.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

myrath wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:43 pm Thanks, but stimulated keys blocking the button held mechanism.
Any other suggestions? :(
What do you mean "blocking the button held mechanism"? Im afraid you really need to be more precise as to the problem otherwise we can only guess at solutions. For starters, you should have filled in the new post template that is conveniently added to a new post - which requests the frequently asked for information - AS REQUESTED in the forum posting rules.

Not only did you NOT adhere to the rules, you also deleted the post template - hardly a good way of introducing yourself to the forum is it - breaking the rules and not providing the requested information!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
myrath
New User

Post by myrath »

First of all, I apologize - I really like your program and I have donated to your project(s) in the past and intend to do so in the future as well (I paid for much less content of other programs).

If English way my mother tongue I could have been more accurate, I believe.

As to the removing of the template - I thought that in my case (which not describe a personal problem, but a request that goes for all the programs to my understanding, it would be easier for all of you to not drown everyone in extra details that required (to my understanding) when someone point on more of a personal issue.
I am truly sorry if the outcome was the opposite situation.

By "Blocking" - I meant that if I set simulated keys than the button held mode will be turned off. I see that according to the menu, the option is an alternative to the button held mechanism.
myrath
New User

Post by myrath »

Kukurykus wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:08 pm If that is not Default profile then you should untick "Only send if profile's process is active' in SimKeys.
Hi, thanks again.
I have only one profile/layer etc.

Anyway, as it comes to my attention that I will probably won't understand the full answer I don't want to truble the Forum members.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

myrath wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:04 pm First of all, I apologize - I really like your program and I have donated to your project(s) in the past and intend to do so in the future as well (I paid for much less content of other programs).

If English way my mother tongue I could have been more accurate, I believe.

As to the removing of the template - I thought that in my case (which not describe a personal problem, but a request that goes for all the programs to my understanding, it would be easier for all of you to not drown everyone in extra details that required (to my understanding) when someone point on more of a personal issue.
I am truly sorry if the outcome was the opposite situation.

By "Blocking" - I meant that if I set simulated keys than the button held mode will be turned off. I see that according to the menu, the option is an alternative to the button held mechanism.
OK I understand that having to do this in a different language makes things more difficult... In the future, it would still be nice (and quite important) to know particularly what version of XMBC you are running (mainly because if your using an old version, there may be a known issue that a simple upgrade would fix or the problem might have already been fixed in a beta version).

OK so now I understand that you are using button held (thanks)... Inside button held, you can in turn (still) use simulated keys, and I would have expected Method 1 to work... I will have a try here, because I can see no reason why it would only work when you are on the desktop!
Actually in this case, it may be something that has been changed/fixed in a newer (beta) version as I have a fixed a few bugs with button held and simkeys combined... Maybe that's related, maybe not.

What I have already tried (using 2.19 latest beta for what its worth - I will try with 2.18.8 (presuming thats what your using) later at home)...
1. Set my middle button to Button Held
2. In button held, set the first action to simulated keystrokes, {LWIN} and method 1...
This seems to work for me no matter what program has focus.

By the way, this sort of thing is what the forums are for - please don't think this is any trouble - it really isn't - although at this stage while I cant promise I can help, I can give it a try. Apologizes for my rather terse reply yesterday, but without the simple information request, it really does make it difficult to help, which is why I have gone to all the trouble to create the forum rules and the new post template to make it as clear and easy to fill in the basic information!
--[ Phil ]--
myrath
New User

Post by myrath »

First, I fully understand your comment and it was a misunderstanding (or lack of discretion) from my part - Ironically, I was under the impression that giving a lot of information and ending with a very general question would be rude or inappropriate.
In hindsight, I think the best thing would be writing a note stating that the question is general or something like that (and let the members decide whether the information is relevant or not), but It didn't occur to me while posting the thread...
Thank you for your patience and thank Kukurykus too.

On the merits - turned out that I need some "programming" tutorial much more than English lessons :D
I did write "LWIN", but I dropped the brackets (deliberately) because I thought you meant brackets as in "in case you don't know the command - this is it".

Thanks a lot - it works smoothly as all of the options + I learned another great thing about the program.

I have just donated again and I hope others will do too.
It's really a wonderful software!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Excellent - I'm glad we got you on the right track.
Thanks for the donation, much appreciated.

For what it is worth, in the next version, it should be easier to find and enter the "tags" in {} as there is now a dropdown menu AND the ability to hold a button and simply press the keys you want to send - much easier!
xmbc.png
Regards,
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Thanks for donation to Phil :angel:
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P