New Feature Request: Change Mouse Pointer per Profile

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
mfarzan
New User

New Feature Request: Change Mouse Pointer per Profile

Post by mfarzan »

XMBC Version: v2.18.8
Windows Version: 10 (1903)
Mouse Information (brand/model): Dell / ?
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): N/A
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): N/A
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): N/A
How long have you used XMBC?: 1 day
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: I am interested to show a different nouse pointer when working with a certain application, and switch to standard when the mouse is not in that application window(s).
phil
Site Admin

Re: New Feature Request: Change Mouse Pointer per Profile

Post by phil »

Yes this is already on the list to be considered for 2.19 beta (ie the next version) - well sort of - the list says allow a different cursor to indicate the active layers - but the same applies for profiles. I'm not sure yet how to achieve that - How to make it different - I could allow the user to select a cursor on the profile tab, and then modify it to indicate the layer for that profile (if need be) - haven't quite worked out the details yet and not 100% sure if it will make 2.19 or be delayed to 2.20 (chances are it will get in).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
mfarzan
New User

Post by mfarzan »

Thanks Phil for quick reply. Let me know if you need a beta tester. I have 2 exact applications; one running in Citrix environment and one running in desktop. Each points to different backend database, but the look and feel of the apps are the same. I modified the icons so that the user would know (sort of) which is which. But I need to make them more aware while they are working in the application. The mouse pointer would be best as far as I know.

Thanks,
Mark
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Beta testers are always welcome - its generally an open beta and you can find them in the beta topic right here on the forums. You will also see (in the first post) that this is item 581 (I think) and so keep an eye out for anything to do with that - I always list the items "fixed"/changed in each beta release note in that forum.

In the meantime, how do you anticipate this working, if the profile options has a cursor selection/drop-down or allows you to choose a cursor .cur file... Or perhaps I can have an option that just changes the coour of the "default" cursor. Ideas welcome, but I cant promise yet how it will turn out - depends on workload etc.

Just a warning, my time I get to spend on XMBC is limited and it comes in fits and bursts so I cant really give any definite timescales on this right now, just that I currently intend it to go into 2.19 at some point before release!

Regards,
Phil

EDIT: PS. As its a little related to my current change (changing the tray icon to indicate cursor speed etc.) I now have code to overlay images ontop of icons (and cursors) so it may well be the next thing to tick off the list!
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK Its in 2.19 Beta 8.
You can select from a list of cursors - by default the list has 6 coloured pointers.
But you can also add your own cursors to the list. Simply find a .CUR file and add it to the settings folder (the same folder that has the XMBCSettings.xml file) NOTE: You can open this folder quickly by holding the CTRL key and left click the XMBC icon in the system tray!
--[ Phil ]--