Using wheel to magnify image in Adobe Acrobat

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Malbone
New User

Using wheel to magnify image in Adobe Acrobat

Post by Malbone »

XMBC Version: 2.18.8
Windows Version: 7 Pro
Mouse Information (brand/model): HP optical USB mouse; iConcepts PS/2 mouse
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc):
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: 1 week
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: US English

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: I recently installed XMBC to fix a problem but like its features and want to use them more extensively. I find, however, that when using it with Adobe Acrobat 8 (admittedly a 10-year-old version) I'm running into a problem. Acrobat uses the mouse wheel (coupled with holding down the CTRL key) to zoom in or out on a PDF document. That feature doesn't work under XMBC as far as I can tell. I've tried all the scrolling methods and none of them work for this purpose. I am now using Method 4 and moving the wheel UP OR DOWN while holding down CTRL causes the image to shrink -- in other words, you can't use the wheel to zoom in, only out, until its size is down to 1%.

Remapping the wheel to "magnify" doesn't accomplish what I want to, since that magnifies the entire Windows desktop rather than the specific document in the Acrobat window. I tried ticking "Disable scroll wheel under cursor" but that seemed to have no effect. Is there a solution?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Using wheel to magnify image in Adobe Acrobat

Post by phil »

Forget using the different scroll methods (leave it on default) and instead turn on the option "Disable Scroll window under cursor" which you can do per application on the option tab or globally in the general settings (its called Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" in there.

Let me know if that makes any difference.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Malbone
New User

Post by Malbone »

Thanks for asking, but no, it didn't help. I unticked the global "Enable" setting and ticked the per-app "Disable" setting, and set the scroll method back to default. Acrobat 8 still shrinks the image under the mouse when Ctrl-Wheel is used, no matter which way the wheel is scrolled. Acrobat Reader DC, however, behaves properly without any special XMBC profile, allowing Ctrl-wheel up to increase the scale and Ctrl-wheel down to decrease it.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

That's really weird, I presume it works without XMBC running? I really don't know what else to suggest, I cant see how both directions do the same thing :(. I presume you haven't remapped the wheel in XMBC (that is, the wheel is set to "No change (Don't intercept)"??).

I'm on holiday at the moment and I don't have acrobat 8 to hand to test on. I may be able to find a copy when I get home (9/10th Nov) Maybe someone else here can try it and see if its reproducible on other machines - anyone?!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Dolmatov
Committed

Post by Dolmatov »

Try rebind wheel to CTRL +/- for only Acrobat 8.
I don't find Acrobat 8 on adobe site for test. Have only Adobe Acrobat DC.
_________
Acrobat 8 has various problems with displaying information, so I recommend that you consider upgrading to the current version.
Malbone
New User

Post by Malbone »

Interesting approach, but it didn't work for me. (1) Binding the wheel to Ctrl-+ means it won't scroll. What I need is for XMBC to recognize {CTRL}{WHEEL UP} as different from {WHEEL UP} alone. (2) When I tried binding the wheel to Ctrl-+/-, scrolling down did what the binding required -- zoom out. But scrolling up did not zoom in. Instead, it rotated the image, which Acrobat 8 assigns to Shift-Ctrl-+. Perhaps that's a bug in Adobe's code?
Dolmatov
Committed

Post by Dolmatov »

It is very strange.
There is a little "crazy idea":
Create additional settings (profile) for the program;
Indicate the area of the profile by quadrant (rectangular area of profile activity) - If only for verification, and not on an ongoing basis, then you can not specify.;
Indicate the left / right buttons for the indicated actions {CTRL} {NUM +} / {NUM-}.
If the program changes the scale correctly, then it recognizes these clicks. Otherwise, it means that something went wrong.