Hold <shift> to change scroll wheel to left/right

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
OldFatDog
New User

Hold <shift> to change scroll wheel to left/right

Post by OldFatDog »

XMBC Version: 2.18.8
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home, Build 17763.805
Mouse Information (brand/model): VicTsing 2.4Ghz 2400 DPI Wireless Mouse
How long have you used XMBC?: Not long
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English

I did search the forums, but couldn't find an answer -- sorry if I missed the obvious!

My mouse does not have tilt (left/right) functionality. As a workaround, can I toggle the wheel to scroll left/right (instead of up/down) whenever I hold down the <shift> key?

For example...

<shift><mwdn> = scroll left
<shift><mwup> = scroll right

Thoughts? Thanks for any advice!
phil
Site Admin

Re: Hold <shift> to change scroll wheel to left/right

Post by phil »

Yes you can do this.

Follow these steps, using the layers functionality in XMBC....
1. In global settings, on the general tab, make sure you have at least 2 layers enabled.
1.png
2. On the modifier keys tab, turn on layer modifier keys, and set the layer modifier key for layer 2 to SHIFT.
2.png
3. Back on the main screen, on layer two, set the wheel up / down to tilt left/right
3.png
Apply that

Now when shift is held dowm, XMBC will switch to layer two which will tilt left/right instead of scroll up/down.

Thanks,
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
OldFatDog
New User

Post by OldFatDog »

Thanks for the quick reply! I did exactly as you said.

After making all the setup changes, I tried using Mouse Wheel Tilt Left/Right, but I'm getting no left/right movement. (I tried it out in Chrome, Word and Excel.)

I then tried Scroll Window Left and Scroll Window Right instead, but still no left/right movement.

I *do* get the XMBC notification window that Layer 2 is being activated whenever I press the <shift> key, for what that's worth.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I'll take a look (probably over the weekend0 and see if I can get it working here.
I fear that holding shift is interfering with the scroll... If you set tilt left/right on the first layer (without holding shift) does that work? If it does, then my bet is that shift is a bad key to use as the layer modifier (as the programs will be seeing shift+tilt rather than just tilt - and that may do different things which is an issue with layer modifier keys as it cant just block the shift key!).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
OldFatDog
New User

Post by OldFatDog »

If you set tilt left/right on the first layer (without holding shift) does that work?
If I understand you correctly, you're saying try mapping Wheel Up and Wheel Down to Mouse Wheel Tilt Left and Mouse Wheel Tilt Right, respectively, on the first layer.

I tried that, and get no response/action at all.

I also tried mapping to Scroll Window Left and Scroll Window Right with the same result. (How do those differ from Tilt Left/Right?)

Finally, I tried <CTRL><ALT> and <ALT> and <WIN LEFT> as modifier keys for the second layer, with no result.

Does it matter that my mouse doesn't actually HAVE a tilt wheel when invoking Tilt Left/Right?
OldFatDog
New User

Post by OldFatDog »

For what it's worth, I just tried mapping MB4 and MB5 to Tilt Left/Right, and get no response.

I originally had MB4 and MB5 mapped to simulated keys for <CTRL><END> and <CTRL><HOME> -- and those work fine.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Urm, no I mean try mapping tilt left / tilt right to scroll up / down (just to see if it works - obv. we wont leave it that way). Mapping to tilt l/r wont have any effect if your mouse has no tilt!

I just want to rule out a problem i n the tilt code. As I said I expect the problem is that holding SHIFT modified the behavior but I want to make sure that the "mouse wheel tilt left/right" actions actually work. I will try this myself over the weekend when I get a chance at home.

EDIT: I don't know if its relevant, but SHIFT + SCROLL UP/DOWN in chrome defaults to scroll left/right (without XMBC involved at all). I dont know if thats standard for all programs (I doubt it!).
--[ Phil ]--
OldFatDog
New User

Post by OldFatDog »

I think we're on different pages :oops: . As I said in my very first post, my mouse wheel does not tilt left or right. It only scrolls up/down (and clicks, FWIW).

I wanted to add the ability to scroll left/right somehow. My original thought was to keep Wheel Up and Wheel Down the same.

But then I'd toggle left/right scrolling by adding a modifier key -- so <SHIFT>Wheel Up would scroll left, and <SHIFT>Wheel Down would scroll right.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK my terminology was not clear - That'll teach me not to rush reply to posts while at work!
I know you don't have tilt left/right on your mouse. What I want to establish, is if XMBC can simulate the tilt L/R without shift being held down (as I suspect that holding shift down is the problem with my first solution - and that may be a difficult problem to overcome!)

So what I should have said (to avoid confusion)....
In XMBC, On layer 1, temporarily change the "wheel up" action to "Mouse Wheel Tilt Left" and/or "scroll window left" and the "wheel down" action to "Mouse Wheel Tilt Right" and/or "scroll window right" - and just see if that works. Once we know if it works, you can change it back and I can see if there is a solution to the original request!
tilt.png
I just want to know if XMBC can remap without having shift held down as a modifier key - before I spend any time trying to figure out where the problem may be :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
OldFatDog
New User

Post by OldFatDog »

I did try that already with no results. (See posts from Oct 18 at 11:26 and 11:32.)

Not a big deal, really, if this is not solvable. It won't kill me to use the page scroll bars to pan left/right :wink:
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Oh I missed that sorry!
OK well in my testing over the weekend, I remapped scroll up/down to tile left/right - and that did work (I'm on 2.19 beta 4 though so there is a slim chance I fixed something in there (I don't think I intentionally have though))...

It will be worth trying with debug logging turned on - because certainly with MB4/5 mapped to "Mouse Wheel Tilt Left/Right" it should defiantly do <something>! You can turn debug logging on in the settings screen on the update and logging tab - turn it on, OK and APPLY that then press the buttons that are mapped to tilt left/right a few times, and send me the log or a post snippet from it here. It may give some ideas as to why the scrolling is not happening for you when it does for me.

Just for info, I'm probably not going to be able to spend much/any time on XMBC (this) for a few weeks as I will be on vacation in the US!
--[ Phil ]--
OldFatDog
New User

Post by OldFatDog »

Below is the log file. (I tried attaching it but got a file extension error, so I changed the extension to TXT.)

I logged the following actions, trying each option but still getting no results.
  • On layer one, mapped MB4 and MB5 to Tilt Wheel Left/Right respectively
  • Unmapped those buttons
  • Enabled modifier keys
  • Turned on <SHIFT> as the modifier key
  • On layer two, mapped Mouse Wheel Up and Mouse Wheel Down to Tilt Wheel Left/Right respectively
  • Unmapped MWU/MWD
  • Disabled modifier keys
  • On layer one, mapped Mouse Wheel Up and Mouse Wheel Down to Tilt Wheel Left/Right respectively
  • Unmapped MWU/MWD
Enjoy your visit to the States!
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

It's amazing you still make time for it. Normally people when are not so happy like at beginning with that they were doing can't find power to do it longer, especially ocasionally.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
OldFatDog
New User

Post by OldFatDog »

For what it's worth, I see that by default, the Adobe Creative Suite apps have the following keyboard + mouse controls that do not require a tilt wheel:

<MWU> -- Scroll up in small increments
<MWD> -- Scroll down in small increments

<SHIFT><MWU> -- Scroll up in large increments
<SHIFT><MWD> -- Scroll down in large increments

<CTRL><MWU> Scroll left in small increments
<CTRL><MWD> Scroll right in small increments

<SHIFT><CTRL><MWU> Scroll left in large increments
<SHIFT><CTRL><MWD> Scroll right in large increments

<ALT><MWU> -- Zoom in
<ALT><MWD> -- Zoom out

Unfortunately, Office 365 apps, Chrome and most other apps I use do not recognize any keyboard + mouse combos to toggle Right/Left scrolling on <MWU> or <MWD>.
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

I use it and it works at some places, but only with left shift, right shift doesn't have any effect to change layer.
Chrome like IrfanView allows to scroll horizontally with any shift held.
Unfortunately Office apps don't see tilting. Phil, while you have tilts in your mose, test if normal tilting work in those apps. Maybe just those apps don't support tilting at all, which is strange.
In Notepad and Notepad 2 it doesn't work too. IrfanView doesn't see tilting also, though it allows to scroll horizontally with shift + scrolling.
But it would not work in many places like Windows (Explorer), cuz I just discovered that Shift + MUp works as double click, strange. :lol: