certificate problem

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
person45
New User

certificate problem

Post by person45 »

I installed 2.18.8 in win7 64-bit, but it won't open.

I get an error, "A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider." "This certificate cannot be verified up to a trusted certification authority."

issued to: Open Source Developer, Phillip Gibbons
issued by: Certum Code Signing CA SHA2
phil
Site Admin

Re: certificate problem

Post by phil »

Normally this means your Windows version is not up to date and it needs its root certificates updating (this is usually done automatically through Windows updates).

Certificates are renewed every year and your machine needs to trust the issuer of the certificate (which it should do is it is up to date because Certum (the certificate authority I purchase my certificates from) is a well known and globally trusted source.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
person45
New User

Post by person45 »

Thank you for the fast reply. My other programs installed fine, so I was wondering.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

A quick google of the error message reveals that its not all that uncommon. I've been able to recreate the problem many times on fresh installs of Windows 7 (before doing updates or connecting to the internet) but normally it goes away after the first update.

If you continue to struggle, you can manually install the Certum certificates into your certificate chain but you shouldn't have to do that. I guess Certum is less common that those like Verisign and others but they are also hundreds of dollars cheaper which for free software is quite important!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)