XMBC 2.19 Beta

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Re: XMBC 2.19 Beta

Post by Kukurykus »

#612 works too now, if beside that you wrote you fixed also behaviour I reported 3 weeks ago: Bug 1

Regarding Enters I think you could miss my report (also from Jan 5th): Bug 2, (backspace and f.. work)
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yep missed that.. too many irrelevant posts in this thread makes finding relevant stuff too much effort. And missed most stuff that week :) LOL
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Here is 2.19 Beta 21...

If you have check for beta versions enabled, you should get notified of a new version and prompted to update in the next day or so. This is the most efficient method (bandwidth wise) as the updates are only a fraction of the size of the full install. Otherwise, you can get the full installation beta HERE. Note that this link will always get you the latest beta version!

NOTE: 2.19 Beta 1 and 2 had an incorrect version number internally and therefore the update check may fail. In this case, please manually install using the link above!

Changes since v2.19 Beta 20:
  • #612 - Fixed more issues using the {} button (missing RETURN, broken when pressing some keys).
There are NO changes to the language template file for 2.19 Beta 21.

OK , so I'm going to take a punt and say if there are no more accidental broken things, this will become 2.19 release. Lets see if that works out or not!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Too bad I didn't check updates today earlier. Now I did it and found a bug in no time :)

The numeric {RETURN} should be called {NUMENTER}. From dropdown list they work correctly. With {} both have same functionality. It is important because at least for Photoshop they are meant to work differently.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK noted, but I need to get 2.19 out before my signing certificate expires in Feb so I probably won't change that for release (I'll raise a bug report) but its minor in my opinion, and frankly, I don't think its possible to tell the difference the way its currently doing it and I'm not up for changing lots of code just to fix one broken tag that 90% of people wont use and when the dropdown has it and the help text underneath has it. If it turns out to be super easy, I may revise my thoughts but I'm low on time and high on other pressures right now so chances are it will have to wait.

PS you didn't miss that much time - it was only a few hours!
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Okey, so revise it when you have time.

The example of difference for both enters / returns in Photoshop:

Regular Return takes text cursor to next line, while numeric Enter applies changes.

It was introduced in this Beta the wrong way, then for my request fixed, and now again broken.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

As far as I know, NUMENTER has never worked with the {} button has it? As in while holding {} and pressing the numeric enter, it has never put {NUMENTER} into the field has it (just {RETURN})? If it has then maybe I'm wrong - please tell me which beta (because "this beta" means 2.19 beta 21 and that's not going to help me much locate the old code that apparently worked!)

The {NUMENTER} tag should still work and the dropdown still has it.
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

We talked about it few times between Beta 2 and 5. Then you made it worked, but I don't know how long as once I tested it after a fix I had no reason to check it again until recently I found by chance it doesn't work again. You can read of it in few posts on this (and another) page: Third page of XMBC 2.19 Beta

That was 4 months ago, but if I remember well I can at least conclude from our talks it was like it.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK so maybe I am wrong - I will have to look at what I did in beta 4 (where apparently I fixed it last time) and why its change since - but I completely redid the code since then - that will be why it changed I guess. The problem is, the new code, using hooks is not looking at the extended flag... but it works for RALT/RCTRL (I presume) so in theory it should work for NUMENTER - I will try and have a quick look and fix it if its easy!

Ironically, the two things I thought would be pretty simple and quick, the indications on the mouse cursor and the simkey dropdown command button have turned out to have been the most time consuming! Although the menu was fairly simple, it's only when I added the menu and someone suggested the {} button (which I liked the idea of BUT really I should have added as a new feature request for a subsequent version!!!)) that it started getting tricky! :roll: haha!

There have been too many changes which break previous fixes recently. I don't really know why but I suspect its because my time is more limited so I'm only looking at XMBC infrequently and with little time to do it. I'm a bit disappointed in this but I can't see there is much I can do about it, short of giving up completely, doing MUCH less per release (hence why not doing any more in 2.19) or quitting my job so I can work on XMBC all day for free (no that's not going to happen :lol:). Maybe I must be strict and ONLY make a very limited number of new features/changes per release (and as many bug fixes as are sensible). We may get quicker releases that way and less bugs (or quicker fixes for bugs!!).
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Maybe do that you'll create 5 topics, 1 big feature and 2 small each, plus 3 bugs to fix. So for ex.

Features:

- the hardest / most wanted
- some other one
- some other one

Bugs:

- 1st bug
- 2nd bug
- 3rd bug

Choose the topic you want to focus on at the moment in first instance, depending on different factors, like time, power, expectations, interest etc. while 4 others simply lock, so they'll wait you close previous one.

Their subjects will be something like: 'awaiting for realisation', and when you finish the current one, you are going to unlock another and change the subject to subsequent Beta name.

This way devided Beta into small parts are nicer to work on, and easier to test and release. Meantime of doing stuff from list of current Beta thread you can add other small feature(s) that correspond to those listed also add most recent bugs.

When you are done with that Beta, you will look into remainded four other awaiting Beta topics to decide what you want to do next. You choose one, unlock and like I said change the name to let know it's active.

The system you do now is somehow combined with that I suggested, but maybe it's good to try something new 'to breathe a breeze of fresh air' and see how you feel with it?

btw here are my ideas for main feature for some of those 5 BETA topics:
- 596 - Look to improve the GUI for multiple apps per profile - maybe a sub-tree.
- 608 - Investigate possibility to add different actions for double, triple clicks (potentially a difficult one)
- button held in button chording (that I wanted long time ago and recently also injtsvetkov came with)

After you start and close all 5 Beta topics, you may release regular version (if not after each of them), and then start over this system of 5 Beta threads (or else 3 if there are no more ideas) again, each time maybe a little changing approach to, basing on gained experience to find how exaclty that could work.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Here is 2.19 Beta 22...

If you have check for beta versions enabled, you should get notified of a new version and prompted to update in the next day or so. This is the most efficient method (bandwidth wise) as the updates are only a fraction of the size of the full install. Otherwise, you can get the full installation beta HERE. Note that this link will always get you the latest beta version!

NOTE: 2.19 Beta 1 and 2 had an incorrect version number internally and therefore the update check may fail. In this case, please manually install using the link above!

Changes since v2.19 Beta 21:
  • #612 - Fixed {NUMENTER} key tag entry for numeric keypad return key when using {} button.
There are NO changes to the language template file for 2.19 Beta 22.

OK , so I'm going to say again, if there are no more accidental broken things, this will become 2.19 release. Lets see if that works out this time!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Kukurykus wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:07 am Maybe do that you'll create 5 topics, 1 big feature and 2 small each, plus 3 bugs to fix. So for ex.
Wow, keeping track of just one topic thread is hard enough... Splitting it into 3 or 5 could become a nightmare :).

I could create a BETA sub-forum and use that rather than having one post, then I could have a post for each issue being worked on - but tracking whats going on will be more difficult (for me and everyone else!).
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Yes that would be nightmare, but in scenario I see you understood me unfortunately wrongly.

I suggested to create 5 topics, choose 1 of them only, while 4 others lock on to be back to for next Beta's.

So when you finish working on few things (features and bugs) from first one (where if needed you can add meantime more of them), you'll lock it to unlock 1 of reminded 4 - that one you'd like to start from at the time, depending of some asspects they incluence at you the most.

When you close all 5, you may think of another 3 - 5 topics where each have one main feature to implement. This way I solved the problem of spending too much time on only one Beta, as you could release them more often this way.
Last edited by Kukurykus on Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yes that may work - esp. in its own sub-forum (so as to keep beta issues out of the main XMBC forum)
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I've just had a report of XMBC crashing - I'm presuming its the latest beta version (2.19.22) as its from one of the more prominenet beta testers. However, its not something I have noticed, nor would I expect given that in the last month only minor changes have been made to fairly small areas of XMBC but if its happening to more people, I need to know ASAP. Please let me know if you experience any oddity with XMBC locking up, not responding to buttons, blocking all clicks or the icon dissapearing (but XMBC still in task manager).

This could be a massive problem, or it could be isolated - but its going to hold release until I know more!
--[ Phil ]--