XMBC 2.19 Beta

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
phil
Site Admin

XMBC 2.19 Beta

Post by phil »

OK, Its been a while since I released 2.18 and there have been a few followup releases, fixing issues found in the 2.18 release.
I hope that's done with now, so I guess its time to think about 2.19 and what will go into that.

Warning... Beta versions may contain more bugs (and sometimes more serious bugs)!
While it is really useful to be able to test new features before they get into the release version, sometimes a change may break things. You can always re-install the previous release or a previous beta version if this happens - but you should be aware that this can happen!

The first thing I must say, is that I have even less time than before for XMBC now. So I need to either target small wins, things that wont take long but will have a significant impact for people OR a single "big" thing. The problem is, that the big things are often only useful to one or two people (difficult to judge before they actually exist) so prioritizing them is tricky.

With that in mind, here is my initial list. Note that the red items are the most complex and least likely to get looked at!

Also note that just because something is on the list, does not guarantee it will get added in 2.19! Also note that the list is fluid and things may get added (or removed) at any point. Small/quick to implement things will probably happen first!

Please keep this beta thread on topic. It is for announcements and reporting bugs in the current beta, NOT for requesting new features and/or asking about existing (non-beta) functionality!

The things on my to do list for 2.19 are:
  • 670 - Issue with profile enable checkbox not always activating apply when ticked/unticked
  • 669 - Issue when the chord is cancelled it can also trigger the mouse button action e.g. right click-context menu.
  • 668 - Issue with SimKeys mode 6 (repeat while held)
  • 667 - Media Play/Pause Next/Previous Stop not working with iType
  • 666 - When using the keybaord, the profile can change to foreground window not window under cursor.
  • 663 - Firefox 70 not activating when scrolling
  • 662 - Disabled icon does not get debug red outline/highlight
  • 661 - Not highlighting correct profile in settings window for multiple profiles with different regions
  • 660 - Issue with scrolling not working as expected (lagging) in Minecraft/others
  • 659 - Not loading and remembering profiles on fresh installed version
  • 658 - Fixed bug breaking modifier keys after locking/unlocking workstation (reinstall hooks)
  • 657 - Global hotkeys should be disabled in settings dialog
  • 656 - Fixed issue with modifier keys not distinguishing between extended keys and normal keys (e.g. numpad vs arrows)
  • 654 - Store log folder, profile & last update check in persistent settings file in portable mode
  • 653 - Layer modifier keys for layers 6-10 not working
  • 652 - Simkey tags {OD} and {OU} do not work as expected for method 3 DURING.
  • 649 - Repeating simkeys don't work in a button chord.
  • 647 - Persist current active layer across reboot / restart of XMBC.
  • 645 - Filter out (don't process) touch mouse events.
  • 643 - Add an option to the profile options tab to enable/disable layer switching modifier keys (so on per-profile basis)
  • 641 - Separate horizontal and vertical sensitivity for change movement to scroll
  • 637 - Add delay time for activate window on hover.
  • 629 - Add ability to cycle through a list of preset cursor speeds
  • 628 - Add Open Emoji keyboard option for Windows 10 (LWIN + '.')
  • 617 - Add simkey tags to lock axis and invert axis.
  • 616 - Add global hotkeys to invert mouse axis.
  • 613 - Add a drop-down/button to select simkey tags when entering simulated keystrokes.
  • 612 - Add a button to insert {} in simkey text box
  • 611 - Mouse sensitivity issue (setting to allow XMBC to change speeds)
  • 581 - Modify the cursor to indicate state of button held time, button chording, current layer, profile etc.
  • 648 - Add undo option when restoring desktop icons (low priority).
  • 644 - Investigate: When changing layers while a re-mapped button is held down, stop that buttons action and start the action on the new layer (if different) without having to release and re-press the button (this may not be possible)
  • 640 - Investigate issue with invert scrolling in Citrix RDP.
  • 634 - Add are you sure prompt when saving and restoring desktop icons (low priority).
  • 608 - Investigate possibility to add different actions for double, triple clicks (potentially a difficult one)
  • 596 - Look to improve the GUI for multiple apps per profile - maybe a sub-tree.
  • 578 - Add ability to have profiles defined by screen region only (not window specific, area specific)
  • 548 - Improve Movement to Scroll acceleration and direction vectors based on Killy's input.
  • 552 - Add ability to toggle Movement to Scroll when a layer is active, so any movement when the layer is active, is translated into scroll.
  • 540 - Investigate problems with {PRESS} and {RELEASE} simkey tags, specially when the sequence is interrupted by releasing the button.
  • 585 - Add ability to trigger an action when the profile changes (without having to click)
  • Investigate the possibility of detecting more buttons (not looking good!)
NOTE: Green = Done, Red = Pushed back from the previous run - big issues less likely to be looked at!

That list is rather long. I hope A lot of the items will be quick fixes but I cant promise anything yet. I may will split this across multiple releases.
Also note that this list is not static... It will change as new bugs come along and are deemed worthy of including fixes in 2.19.

Feedback welcome. If you think I have missed something you are waiting for, let me know. My full (readonly) todo/bug list is available here.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Dolmatov
Committed

Re: XMBC 2.19 Beta

Post by Dolmatov »

Don't find default/system dialog for custom dialog for has been translate string:
"Enter an integer between %1 and %2."
I remember that you answered me that maybe someday you will change the display of this message.
P.S. Find https://bugz.highrez.co.uk/edit_bug.aspx?id=140
For read request and answer: search.php?keywords=integer+between
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yeh things like this are still the least of my worries. I frankly cant be bothered rewriting all the built in C++/MFC error messages when there are proper bugs/features to fix/add and I haven't had time to really look at XMBC for like 6 months. Priorities!!
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK so here is 2.19 Beta 1.

If you have check for beta versions enabled, you should get notified of a new version and prompted to update in the next day or so. This is the most efficient method (bandwidth wise) as the updates are only a fraction of the size of the full install. Otherwise, you can get the full installation beta HERE. Note that this link will always get you the latest beta version!

Changes since v2.18.8:
  • #649 - Repeated simkeys don't work in a button chord
  • #647 - Add option to persist (remember) current layer across XMBC/Windows restart
  • #645 - Filter out (don't process) touch mouse events
  • #643 - Add an option to the profile options tab to enable/disable layer modifier keys
  • #637 - Increased Delay time for "Active window on hover" to 250ms
  • #612 - Added a button to add {} to the simkey text box.
There is an updated language template for 2.19 Beta 1 and I'm sure there will be many more updates throughout this beta (so no rush to update the translations at this stage!).

Any problems, PM me a copy of the log file (or post a snippet in a code block here).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

#647 - how it works? If I apply changes leaving XMBC panel when for ex. Layer 2 panel is active it will be active after opning panel again, or it does something else, because now always Layer 1 tab is chosen. I guess it's something different than such small change, but I can't guess what.

#612 - so all text that could be used without any special characters must be now put to {}? Or that's about something different, if not then letters outside of braces will be seen like till now. Again I think it's about something different than I think ;)
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Kukurykus wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:37 pm #647 - how it works? If I apply changes leaving XMBC panel when for ex. Layer 2 panel is active it will be active after opning panel again, or it does something else, because now always Layer 1 tab is chosen. I guess it's something different than such small change, but I can't guess what.
Nothing to do with the setup window.
Set layer 2 active. Exit XMBC restart XMBC and it should startup on layer 2 again.
NOTE: You have to turn this ON in the general settings first (Remember current layer when restarting)!
Kukurykus wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:37 pm #612 - so all text that could be used without any special characters must be now put to {}? Or that's about something different, if not then letters outside of braces will be seen like till now. Again I think it's about something different than I think ;)
You have it all wrong I think (or I do!).
As requested it just adds {} so you don't have to manually type it.
So to put in {CTRL} press the button and type CTRL magically you have {CTRL}
No more to it that that! Absolutely NO change to any underlying functionality!
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

I checked 'Remember Current Layer When Restarting' in Settings and switched layer tab in some profile. Then applied changes but though the option box in settings was still filled the layer tab was back to first.

{} is nice addition. I thought it's for plain text, now I know what for, but if that wouldn't be too much work for you I suggest when the 'caret' is inside of {} then pressing for ex. CTRL key it would insert the full word to the braces. Or even easier. When holding appropriate 'support' key, and then clicking {} button it would result as for example {ctrl}
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Kukurykus wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:07 am I checked 'Remember Current Layer When Restarting' in Settings and switched layer tab in some profile. Then applied changes but though the option box in settings was still filled the layer tab was back to first.
Right... Something is missing here... Try this.
1. Make sure its turned on and applied.
2. Forget about the TAB that is DISPLAYED in settup window - its nothing to do with the tab that is displayed!
3. Activate a layer (that does not autoswitch back)
4. Exit XMBC (completely) or reboot computer
5. Start XMBC again
6. The layer activated in step 3 above should still be active where as previously it would always start on layer one.
In writing these steps, I proved it works here for me!
Kukurykus wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:07 am {} is nice addition. I thought it's for plain text, now I know what for, but if that wouldn't be too much work for you I suggest when the 'caret' is inside of {} then pressing for ex. CTRL key it would insert the full word to the braces. Or even easier. When holding appropriate 'support' key, and then clicking {} button it would result as for example {ctrl}
Actually that's a great idea.... Didn't think of that :). It will work well for SHIFT, CTRL, ALT - not sure about other keys but let me try and find out :)
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

I'm glad you like me idea :)

Okey I got what you meant about activating layers. It works. You could do the same for tabs, so when we click 'Layer 2' and leave XMBC it will be displayed when opening setup again. That's not important though.

You did that for my request for 'Profiles' so maybe for layers that could be done as well?
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

The problem is that the tab that is shown should be the current active layer. So if you are on layer 2, then sure, it should show layer 2 (and I believe it does?!) and as you change layers, the tabs change. Rather than just remembering what tab you were on (I don't see much point in that)
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Yes, there is no necessity in doing what I just asked but I noticed that after I activate other layer (when XMBC is not open) and then I open xmbc panel the layer of that profile is not chosen (what probably you meant should be?).

The other idea is that would be great beside appropriate tab got selected (after previously switching to), also the profile it belongs to would be selected on profile list (so not the last one remembered leaving XMBC panel).

Another thing I just noticed is when in one application I switch to other layer and then I change the app. the switched layer remains. Shouldn't it detect changed application to automatically switch to layer there was previously used (of course if avialable on XMBC profiles list, and maybe if enabled)?
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Its a good point, but the active layer is global and not profile specific... To store the active layer per profile is going to be a problem (performance wise) as it would need to save something in the main XML settings file every time a layer and/or profile changes - and this is slllllooooooooooww (on my settings its like several seconds slow and no way would I want that happening every time I switch layers or a different profile was triggered).... I suppose maybe it could remember "in memory" and not persist it to file every time - that *might* work OK.... But damn! Once again I make what I think is a small quick change and it turns into a monster with much bigger consequences... LOL.
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

You are right, end of discussion. Those ideas were just suggestions for some future. The only what could be somehow useful would be to autoselect layer while opening XMBC setup after that was switched to outside yet. But if that has not to select its profile at same time, maybe that's not so important.

What I'm really waiting for that I found on your list are these items:

596 - Look to improve the GUI for multiple apps per profile - maybe a sub-tree.

613 - Add a drop-down/button to select simkey tags when entering simulated keystrokes*
(the way I proposed and you liked too, so by clicking {} holding support key at same time)

608 - Investigate possibility to add different actions for double, triple clicks (potentially a difficult one)
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
??????????
New User

Post by ?????????? »

649 - Repeating simkeys don't work in a button chord

I can't confirm whether repeating simkeys do or do not work, but for me, simulated keypresses that are being held down (set to "3 During") are still getting stuck until I press the the according mousebutton again in the 2.19 Beta 1.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

?????????? wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:26 am 649 - Repeating simkeys don't work in a button chord

I can't confirm whether repeating simkeys do or do not work, but for me, simulated keypresses that are being held down (set to "3 During") are still getting stuck until I press the the according mousebutton again in the 2.19 Beta 1.
Are you talking about when using simeys during INSIDE a chorded button or just on a button of its own?
--[ Phil ]--