Problem with slow click with left mouse button

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
GoBr
New User

Problem with slow click with left mouse button

Post by GoBr »

XMBC Version: 2.18.7
Windows Version: 10 64 Bit 1809 and Windows 7 32 Bit Pro in VM
Mouse Information (brand/model):Logilink / Touchpad
Computer Information: Notebook Asus K55VJ
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC?: I don't know
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade?: I don't know
How long have you used XMBC?: 5 Years or more
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: German

Clear description of the problem:
Hi Phil,

I have a stupid problem with the left mouse button in Explorer with detailed view. With Unreal Commander 3.57 64 Bit is the same: When I click a little bit slow on a selected File or directory the stupid Windows mouse driver marks the filename blue and tries to rename it. And it is really a little bit. There is nearly no difference between a normal or a slow click. Perhaps the reason is, that I'm no teenager and don't click in impatience. I searched the Internet, the Registry and the XMBC options, but I didn't find a useful solution I swapped the mouse buttons and I tried with the Touchpad, but it was always possible to reproduce this behavior. I think it is a Windows issue and a problem of my computer.

If it is possible for you to build a delay time for the left button I would be very thankful.

GoBr
phil
Site Admin

Re: Problem with slow click with left mouse button

Post by phil »

So I'm trying to reproduce this here (Windows 10 1903)...
The only way I can get to the rename using the mouse button is to click on an item that is already selected (highlight3ed in blue). It does not matter how long or quickly I click (hold) the mouse button. If it is NOT selected then it simply selects and never goes into "rename" mode.
I have to first select it, then click it again to rename. So potentially, a slow double click (as in click 1st click to select) click 2 to rename... I presume this functionality is for tablets where you have no buttons by the way (certainly in 10).

First, to rule out any XMBC setting/bug can you disable / exit XMBC and see if the problem still occurs - (to rule out any XMBC configuration/bug)?
How have you mapped your buttons in XMBC - is the left click button anything other than "No change (Don't intercept)"?

In any case, I'm not sure how adding delays to the left button in to XMBC (where would the delay go?) would make any difference - in fact I could see adding delays make matters worse. Can you try and explain how you think a delay would work. Would you delay the press down of the button (between you physically pressing and XMBC actually sending the button down message) or delay the up (release) and would that not make matters worse?
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
GoBr
New User

Post by GoBr »

Hi Phil,

after your answer I tested a lot more. It is right, only when a file is selected, this happens. It occurs, when I release the button. You're right, it doesn't matter, how long the button is pressed. I thought it would depend on how long the button is pressed. When I use Unreal Commander the rename option is nearly always. Until April this year I used a very old file manager and with that it was not.

With or without XMBC makes no difference. The button is assigned with "No Change", but I tried other settings. So I think, there is no solution for this behavior, because Windows redirects the action of the button. Microsoft often makes things, which I don't like, but millions of users accept it without comment. Sorry for wasting your time.

GoBr
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

It not wasting my time - its useful to learn these things and discuss them so others can also see the results. In this case the answer is that there is nothing I can do about it in XMBC but thats not always the case. I know what you mean about MS making changes that the many overlook/like but there will always be some that are upset - thats a certainty when there are so many millions/billions of users - pleasing the majority has to take precedence I suppose. The thing I dislike is that these days, things seem to be getting less and less configurable/customizable without an awful lot of work / 4rd party tools!

Still it could be worse, it could be as locked down as IOS! :)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)