extending XMBC to other input codes/types...

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Astara

extending XMBC to other input codes/types...

Post by Astara »

Clear description of the problem:

Well, if it was a problem, that would help, I guess the absence of a feature might be considered a problem.

But I was looking for a good keyboard macro prog, but was only able to find ones that basically let you record
a macro that was played back later.

I thought for a while, and said to self, what I really need is for it to be programmable in the type of detail XMBC has for mouse buttons. Hmmm....it might be a large endeavour, but there seems to be a hole for programming keyboard macros rather than just recording them.

BTW, what is XMBC written in, C or ...?

If you are really tired of working on the program and/or have no time, you might consider releasing it on something like sourceforge or github so it could be built on...I'm probably not the first to suggest that...

Still to extend the abilities to keypresses, as a quick interface change could have a box in the left column where you list the various mouse "buttons/inputs" where one could type in a letter or press a key on the keyboard -- then have actions on the right similar to what are already there. Could allow for minimal change to the UI to support any key as well as any unlisted mouse key, including yet-to-be-designed or implemented keys, as the input box could take any input-code that was pressed...

Don't know how feasible that would be but take a look at key-macro programs and see if they all don't assume that you just want to record & play back something. Lame...

Thanks,
Astara
(aka) Linda Walsh
phil
Site Admin

Re: extending XMBC to other input codes/types...

Post by phil »

Have you looked at Auto Hotkey - that's already a very powerful keyboard programming tool - probably more so than XMBC but it isn't record and playback!

I really want to keep XMBC mouse focused (esp. as I have enough building up on the ToDo list without extending to a new input device :P)
XMBC is written in C++ - the GUI is MFC based and the main work is in a light weight win32 DLL (which helps keep the footprint as small as possible with few dependencies etc).

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
hexaae
New User

Post by hexaae »

Agree. Would be VERY useful an additional input keyboard remapping/emulation layer.
For example there are games poorly coded (e.g. Need For Speed 2015) unplayable on gaming laptops just because they can't detect PgUP or PgDown events (usually assigned to Fn+Numpad9 and +Numpad3 on laptops). In this regard would be extremely useful to remap CTRL+Up == PgUP and CTRL+Down == PgDn for this task only...

A 3rd layer with keyboard remapping would be incredibly useful in these circumstances, because XMBC works so good with every program/game I know of, contrary to expensive key remapper utilities not working at all that I've tested :D

Using AutoHotKey is out of discussion since I don' t like having 2-3 programs doing almost the same thing in background.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'm sorry but as far as I am concerned, changing XMBC to do this is out of my discussion - deal with it - or perhaps do what I did when MS stopped doing what I wanted to do - and make your own tool that does what you want! At the end of the day, XMBC exists because MS didn't update their old intellimouse software working on 64 bit windows XP when it was released. So I made my own. I have been adding and adding to XMBC for over 15 years, mainly at the bequest of others - I use very little of the total XMBC functionality myself. But one thing is 100% clear in my mind: the M in XMBC is for MOUSE. I do not need, nor intend to add a K in there. I simply don't have the time or the need myself - and XMBC is supposed to be a little fun on the side. As life goes on, there is far less time for fun on the side I'm afraid!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
hexaae
New User

Post by hexaae »

Ouch… :(
Ok… the problem is that there are no decent tools doing both in a single utility, and/or to have both you have to buy expensive tools like Key Manager from ATNSOFT (+ XMBC).
Believe it or not I've not been able to find something similar for free, even less with both functionalities as a single paid utility.

Thank you for your XMBC!
:wink: