Disabling my UAC

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
taylor1277
New User

Disabling my UAC

Post by taylor1277 »

XMBC Version: none right now
Windows Version: 8.1 64bit
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech M510
Computer Information: Acer E5-%11P
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC?: not sure. started with the newest update of program
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade?: no
How long have you used XMBC?: a few months
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: english keyboard ?

Clear description of the problem:
Okay when I would right click on a program to run as admin, the next window would open which is the "User Account Control" which would ask me "Do you want allow the following program to make changes to this computer? I would have to answer yes or no. when I uninstalled X mouse it worked with my mouse, before when I had xmouse downloaded my mouse wouldn't recognize the box and I would with my touchscreen have to touch yes or no to make the selection.
Here is a webpage to see the box I am talking about. I will leave some of the webpage off here so it isn't a direct link showing here in the forum.
www.raymond.cc/blog/task-scheduler-bypass-uac-prompt/ if you want to view this page you will have to put it in your browser and add https:// and then you will see the box at the very top first picture on the site it is from a forum site called raymond.cc. why would Xmouse disable or not read this. I hope you understand things happen and I am just here to ask why it is happening and maybe it can be fixed. or looked into. I just want to bring this to someone's attention that is all. Thank you. can you let me know what happens. I know you say you don't get back to this program because of a hectic life. So I hope you understand when you have the time I am only trying to convey this to you. thank you again, if it is worked out can someone let me know. I love this program. it helps when I am online and reading forums or long webpages. and other things I use it for.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Disabling my UAC

Post by phil »

I'm sorry but I'm really struggling to understand exactly what your problem is.
Specifically this sentence is confusing me
when I uninstalled X mouse it worked with my mouse, before when I had xmouse downloaded my mouse wouldn't recognize the box and I would with my touchscreen have to touch yes or no to make the selection.
XMBC does not need to be run as admin to work - as it is a digitally signed accessibility tool (but it does have to be installed under c:\program files).

Are you saying you cant run XMBC as admin?
Or that XMBC changes the behavior of the UAC popup (it certainly shouldn't do that)
Or something else?

Ahhh maybe your saying that when XMBC is installed and running, you cant click the buttons on the UAC prompt box? If that is what you mean, then how have you setup your buttons - have you remapped your LEFT button (is it set to anything other than "No change (don't intercept)" in the button settings in XMBC?)

The UAC window is protected and does not allow simulated input (otherwise it would be all too easy to inject and bypass UAC!) So XMBC mappings likely wont work in that window - so if you change your left button to Left click (which is pointless as that's what the left button does anyway) or use XMBC to swap left and right buttons maybe, then that could be the problem.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
mousio
New User

Post by mousio »

I also like to swap mouse buttons and now use XMBC to get the expected behavior in RDP.
XMBC is not my main driver, though, because of its (lacking) behavior in these UAC prompts :?
Hence my preference for Tejada's SwapMouseButtons (available on rocketfiles) which also handles UAC prompts. Note that if you decide to combine it with XMBC, you need to press the new main button after you swap with SMB (had a hard time figuring that out but yes, SMB and XMBC can work in unison :wink:)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry, XMBC will never work in UAC prompts, because Windows disables mouse hooks (which is how XMBC works) when showing these prompts - to prevent apps for injecting and bypassing UAC. If you run XMBC as administrator, there is a chance it might work but even then, I doubt it (haven't tried for a long time so I'm not sure).

Having said that, how are you swapping the mouse buttons in XMBC? By entering right click into the left button dropdown, and left click into the right button dropdown OR by using XMBC's "Swap left and right button" options - because the latter should work as it just turns the windows option to swap buttons on/off as required.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
mousio
New User

Post by mousio »

phil wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:49 am Having said that, how are you swapping the mouse buttons in XMBC? By entering right click into the left button dropdown, and left click into the right button dropdown OR by using XMBC's "Swap left and right button" options - because the latter should work as it just turns the windows option to swap buttons on/off as required.
None of the above, since my setup involves SMB for the UAC prompts 8)
So, I can swap whenever I want using the SMB hotkey; XMBC is just there to "extend" the behavior into RDP.
Here's my (minimal) profile for the latter:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<root>
	<version major="2" minor="19" revision="2" build="0"/>
	<Layers Number="1"/>
	<!-- SwapMouseButtons (SMB) vs. XMBC: standalone, Tejada's SMB works
	with UAC prompts but not RDP, and XMBC can be setup for RDP but not UAC
	prompts :/ To get the best of both worlds, just let them work in unison,
	no need to disable or favor either! SMB pointers might become wrongly
	flipped but at least the button swap seems to always work IF the new
	main mouse button is pressed after swapping with SMB :) -->
	<Default>
		<Layer name="Let SMB control the mouse buttons everywhere (incl. UAC prompts)"/>
	</Default>
	<Applications>
		<Application Name="W2:mremoteng.exe||royalts.exe \;| IHWindowClass \;| UIContainerClass" Description="RDP" Enabled="true">
			<LayerNames layer1="Let XMBC adjust mouse behavior in RDP windows, in line with SMB!"/>
			<Left action="0"/>
			<Right action="1"/>
		</Application>
	</Applications>
</root>