X-Mouse Button Control & WinPE

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
logon
New User

X-Mouse Button Control & WinPE

Post by logon »

My 1st post here: hello everyone!

I'm running XMBC in both installed and portable versions and under Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit it does work great!

Now I'm just trying to make it work under WinPE 5.1 (Windows 8.1 Update 1) 6.3.9600 x64 environment.

At first shot it complains about missing "oledlg.dll", then I add that dll in program folder... and it no longer complains, but it does not run (I checked with Task Manager and it doesn't start at all).

Is there a way in order to make it working under WinPE?

Any kind addressing will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and regards
phil
Site Admin

Re: X-Mouse Button Control & WinPE

Post by phil »

Ive never tried it under WinPE but I suspect you are missing some of the C++ runtime and/or MFC runtime required by the GUI in a WinPE environment (The hook DLL is very light using pure Win32 (C++ runtime) but the GUI (EXE) uses additional MFC runtime.
You can try installing them: vc_redist.x64.exe or vc_redist.x86.exe from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... -downloads (or extracting all the DLLs etc. from them and put them along side XMBC maybe if you cant install them on WinPE).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
logon
New User

Post by logon »

Thank you for your quick and appreciated reply!
I'll try your suggestion and then I'll come back to report on this.
However I think it's not simple at all to install Visual C++ runtime libraries without a specific PE builder (and in this case I do not want to use one).
Anyway, do they come to your mind other dependencies from "crucial" DLLs existing in Windows system (just like in the previous case of "oledlg.dll")?
Many thanks in advance.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi,

Nothing specific comes to mind - I would have to try setting up a PE build here... You could use Depends http://www.dependencywalker.com/ to look see what is missing maybe and copy the files from a full windows install and see if that works..... I don't think its going to be that simple though!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
logon
New User

Post by logon »

phil, be aware that creating a customized PE environment can "easily" become an obsession... :angel: :lol:

Anyway, just as already said, to install Visual C++ runtime libraries under WinPE (x64) without a PE builder is not an option IMNSHO since it probably requires some pre-requisites, and at this time I do not want to use a builder: in the past I have been "obsessioned" by that, but now I just want customize "by hand" a small image for partition backup and recovery with some "accessories".

However as everyone knows, the appetite comes with eating! :cheers:

If you want any addressing for a PE builder, please simply ask.

Thanks & Regards