Sometimes a button press does X-Mouse function AND original function

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
lakawak
New User

Sometimes a button press does X-Mouse function AND original function

Post by lakawak »

XMBC Version: 2.17 Portable
Windows Version: 10 Home
Mouse Information (brand/model): Autkey
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC?: No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade?: No
How long have you used XMBC?: 1 month
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English

Clear description of the problem:I just started using X-Mouse when my old MS Wireless Laser 7000 mouse finally died on me. For over a decade, I have been used to the one thumb button being Magnifier (my eyes aren't what they used to be.) and really can't live without it. I was able to map that button in X-Moue just fine. Ad it does work...most of the time. OR really, it works all of the time. But some times, it ALSO performs the regular feature of BACK on the browser. This wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I often didn't decide I needed Magnifier while in the middle of typing something in a form, or a comment section, or whatever. So when it then decides to go Back, it deletes it all.

I notice that it ALWAYS does this the first time I press the button after a reboot. And it seems to do it whenever I haven't pressed it in awhile.

To be clear, I an not using any other software. I am using a crappy $15 wireless mouse that otherwise has no way to change things. I didn't install any special drivers for the mouse, and I don't think it did it automatically because it was ready to use as soon as I plugged in the receiver. And like I said, it always will bring up magnifier like ti is supposed to. It is just that sometimes, it ALSO performs its usual BACK function. Am I missing something obvious?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Sometimes a button press does X-Mouse function AND original function

Post by phil »

Can you please turn on debug logging, and then repeat the problem - then send me a copy of the log.
Turn on debug logging in XMBC using settings -> updates and logging. Turn it on, then press OK and APPLY on the main screen.

There are several things it could be, a bug, a hook timeout (especially if its having to actually launch magnifier if its not already running. Hopefully the log will point me in the right direction or be able to help me guide you a little more. While your at it, you could check your hook timeout setting in advanced settings, and if it is below 1000ms, try setting it to 1000ms or 2000ms (you need to apply and reboot to actually make that change!).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
lakawak
New User

Post by lakawak »

For some reason, the debugging setting went back to off after I set it last night. I may have accidentally done it. But therefore, I missed the times it happened today.

The hook timeout was set pretty low. Just 200 ms. So I set it to 1000 for now and we'll see what happens. Debugging is on so if it does, I can reply with what you need.

I did change to the installed version because I saw in the changelog that that was one of the issues that was fixed for the newest version. It HAS been better today, but it did happen, so it may not be totally fixed. But hopefully the timeout change will solve it.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that debugging turns itself off when XMBC restarts. Debugging is quite CPU/Disk intensive due to the volume of log generated and it can lag the mouse when its on so it automatically turns it off.

Normally this is not a problem because its quick and easy to reproduce most bugs - it its that random and cant be reproduced quickly then that's going to be more tricky. There are other instances when simply turning on debug "fixes" the problem because it changes the timings of things. I doubt that is the case here but you never know.

Can you please check next time it goes wrong (with or without debug enabled) is magnifier already running or does it more often than not go wrong only if magnifier has to be started?

EDIT: There was a problem, I think I fixed it in 2.18 where that action of launching the magnifier took too long, timed out the mouse hook and caused double actions. exactly as you describe. I completely missed the fact that you were on 2.17 else that would have been my first suggestion! I changed XMBC to launch the magnifier from a separate thread, so it does not matter to the mouse hook (which is very time sensitive) how long it takes to run the EXE. There may still be a problem there but I suspect if you are using 2.18 or later, it might just be something else.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)