Wheel drag options?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
nicoblue
New User

Wheel drag options?

Post by nicoblue »

Would love to see more options for the wheel including an option to simulate Left Button drag up, down, left or right. This would help mapping the wheel to parameter sliders / faders in several applications.
I don't think this is possible with chording?

XMBC Version: 2.18.5
Windows Version: 7 64bit
Mouse Information (brand/model): Dell
Computer Information:
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC?:
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade?:
How long have you used XMBC?:
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: UK

Clear description of the problem:
phil
Site Admin

Re: Wheel drag options?

Post by phil »

That could be a tricky one as the wheel does not send CLICK (down) and RELEASE (up) messages like a button, so implementing drag will not be straight forward or reliable - how would XMBC know when you have finished dragging if there is no "wheel released" message.

There is a "hack" in the options to attempt to simulate button down and up, based on the first scroll message and then release a set time after the last scroll message. This seems to work for remapping to actions that do require a down and up message, but Im not sure it will work well for dragging. Maybe it will.

Assuming if does work, do you want the mouse cursor to move when the wheel is scrolled (is that what you mean by drag UP/DOWN/LEFT.RIGHT)? So in effect, change scroll to movement (rather than the existing "change movement to scroll")?

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
nicoblue
New User

Post by nicoblue »

Hi Phil,

Yes, 'change scroll to movement' is a good description. The release could be done by another button e.g. centre button set to sticky finger. Press to enter drag mode, use wheel to drag, press again to exit drag mode.

A bit more about the application: in AV software (video editing, DAW etc) several applications already map the mouse wheel to slider control, for example when you hover over a fader. Others don't. The functionality above would work around this.

Ideally I would like a USB/BT device such as the MS Surface Dial (which can emulate the mouse wheel) to control sliders and parameters I select.
weltering
New User

Post by weltering »

Hi there,

I'm trying to the exact same thing for the exact same reason:
trying to use the mouse wheel scrolling to click-drag sliders in DAW plugin and soundcard control panel.

Mapping wheel-up and wheel down to Click-drag does not work and just makes the slider jump from any value to 0 on the scale.

Can you share with me how you did this please? :)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I don't believe this was ever resolved. It will need a change to XMBC to add an option to change scroll to movement... That's not something that exists right now in XMBC, and whilst it is on the list of things to look into, technically it wont be easy/reliable to do (especially with horizontal scroll) due to the way these scroll messages work.
--[ Phil ]--
weltering
New User

Post by weltering »

Thank you for your reply!

I'm making do for now by mapping scroll to sticky-drag. It gets the job done except for having to be careful with the first touch of the scroll button to activate it. A little too much makes the slider jump to max and if its the volume you better watch out :mrgreen:

I'll potter around more and see if there is a better way to do this . Ideally even something like : a click to activate> drag for movement + ctrl for slowing movment > click again to disengage would suffice nicely.
Would this be possible?

Thank for for this wonderful program. I struggle with elbow and wrist fatigue from fine tuning knobs with click+drag ...and this might make a world of difference. I regret not discovering it earlier! Should be included as standard with the OS! imho. :mrgreen: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Probably, you can already use a layer modifier key to slow the cursor speed (while the key is held) so to do something in combination should be possible... I'll have to see what I can do for 2.20 - although there was/is already a plan for that - with fairly limited scope (but potentially big consequences so I was trying to keep the scope down to keep 2.20 relatively "simple") - we shall have to see what else I can safely squeeze into it or bumped to 2.21. Right now I'm still chasing a pretty big bug in 2.19 that some people are having - I think that's pretty much done with as no one testing has reported any further issues for two weeks now.
--[ Phil ]--