[bug] Latest XMBC logs to Desktop

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.

[bug] Latest XMBC logs to Desktop

Post by Ville »

Hi Phil!

I came across a possible bug:

XMBC Version: 2.18.4
Windows Version: 10 (current patches)
Mouse Information (brand/model): ELECOM Deft Pro trackball
Computer Information: some years old i7 system (self-built)
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC?: Recent version
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade?: No
How long have you used XMBC?: Many years :-)
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: Language US/EN, keyboard layout: customized US/EN & FI

Clear description of the problem: The latest version of XMBC creates 'xmb' log folder on the Desktop, regardless of 'settings > updates & Logging > Enable DEBUG logging is on or off, and regardless of what's in Log File Folder field (or if it's empty). If I stop XMBC, delete the folder, and start it again, the folder gets recreated. Also tried to uninstall XMBC, and reinstall, but the problem persists.

Thanks & keep up the excellent work with XMBC!!
phil
Site Admin

Re: [bug] Latest XMBC logs to Desktop

Post by phil »

Are you running the installed version or the portable version? The portable version stores its settings and log in the SAME folder as the EXE file (so if you dumped the EXE straight on your desktop that would also make sense!).

For the installed version, the log file usually goes in the same folder as the settings file (and is configurable during installation) did you change it during installation (by mistake or on purpose) per chance (because its not logging to the desktop on any of my machines).

Can you send me a copy of the log as I believe it may include the folder its trying to use in there (not 100% sure but its worth a look)

If you have installed XMBC and are comfortable with the registry editor, you can have a look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Highresolution Enterprises\XMouseButtonControl and see what (if anything) "SettingsFolder" is set to?
And also check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Highresolution Enterprises\XMouseButtonControl

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

Post by Ville »

I'm running the installed version. At some point when I was acquiring the log for one of the earlier problems (probably the Y lock-drag issue), I set the logging folder temporarily to the desktop and, apparently, it stuck there. See the attached image; this is after uninstall/reinstall (though I didn't check the highlighted key when the program was uninstalled.. maybe the key stayed behind). But, you can see that even though I have the Log File Folder set to blank currently, the key still defines it.

Once I set the logging folder elsewhere in this key and restarted XMBC, the folder is created at the new location instead of the desktop.
logging_folder.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK Thanks, as you can see there are two registry app names ...
"XMouseButtonControl" and "X-Mouse Button Control"

That's the bug - the settings GUI reads and writes "X-Mouse Button Control" but the actual logger looks at "X-MouseButtonControl"
I'll fix that!

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

Post by Ville »

Excellent, thank you! It's always fun to find obscure bugs! :D