I think I found a bug

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
phoenix369
New User

I think I found a bug

Post by phoenix369 »

XMBC Version:
Windows Version:
Win10 1809
Mouse Information (brand/model):
Razer Mamba Wireless
Computer Information:
i7 8700K
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC?:
No. Has been happening for a long time
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade?:
no
How long have you used XMBC?:
Maybe 5 or 6 years or more, long time user,
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?:
English UK
Clear description of the problem:
I have buttons 4 and 5 assigned with layers 2 an 3. So I have to keep the buttons pressed to activate some functions. The problem arises whenever I, for example, want to call for a function that triggers UAC or similar, like pasting in some system folders, etc. Whenever this happen layer get stuck and doesn't return to default layer 1.
Another possible bug I found whenever system starts, if I invoke an XMBC function before the system has completely finished loading startup apps, results in buttons 1, 2 and possibly more not working. I can see that controls respond to hovering but clicking doesn't work and I have to restart with the keyboard to restore normal functioning.
I hope I've described well enough the problems, English is not my native language :)
I'm at your disposal for further info you may need.
Thanks a lot.
phil
Site Admin

Re: I think I found a bug

Post by phil »

Hi,

I understand point 1. Unfortunately when UAC prompt is active, I believe the mouse hook does not receive any messages so XMBC does not know if a button state changes (i.e. if you have it held down and you release it when in UAC, it will not know). It may work better if you run XMBC as admin - but I doubt it. So while it may be a "bug" I don't think there is anything that I can do about it as it will require changes in how Windows hooks work in UAC (and I guess there is a good reason MS disable the hooks when in that UAC prompt window!).

The second point, is less clear to me. Maybe if a button is pressed when XMBC loads, it confuses it - I will have to try and reproduce that (and I fear it may not be easy t startup!). However, there is a reasonable woraround (well more reasonable than rebooting using the keyboard), why don't you setup a global hotkey to disable/enable XMBC (such as CTRL+SHIFT+E) then simply pressing that global hotkey combo once will disable XMBC and fix the mouse, pressing again will re-enable XMBC (and it should be in a working state!)

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phoenix369
New User

Post by phoenix369 »

Thanks for your help Phil.
I understand the situation completely about point 1. I've disabled UAC Notifications as a workaround since I have other ways to secure my computer and proper XMBC functioning it's more important to me.

About point 2 I'm afraid your suggested workaround doesn't work. I've force closed XMBC with keyboard through task manager and buttons stay the same. I've disabled in windows registry default delayed startup of programs with this:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize]
"StartupDelayInMSec"=dword:00000000

It does happen quite a bit less than before, but it's still there if I rush opening some apps and use them. I'm guessing it could be happening if I'm using certain buttons or combinations just while XMBC hook is loading. I'm not sure if there's anything to be fixed there either. Maybe if I could force XMBC to be the first startup program to load, don't know if this is even possible.
Do you think there's something that could help mitigate this problem?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK regarding point 2. If disabling XMBC and re-eabling does not work, then Im confused... It must be the button state in Windows getting stuck (as it, maybe XMBC blocked a message so Windows got confused). Next time, try CTRL+ALT+DEL to open the "whats it called" screen with a list of things including lock, switch user, task manager etc. then cancel that screen and tell me if the buttons work again as this usually resets Windows button states - (perhaps in a simular way to the UAC window!)

It doesn't really make much sense to me, and is not something I have ever seen (nor has anyone else reported) in all the years developing and using XMBC - so I don't really know what else to suggest. Is there anything I can try doing to reproduce it... do you have to hit the buttons lots during startup (does that make it happen more)?
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phoenix369
New User

Post by phoenix369 »

Since I've made the change in registry to remove delayed start it has become quite hard to reproduce this so I consider it not a problem anymore. I will keep your suggested CTRL+ALT+DEL test in mind in case it starts happening again.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards