Side button 4,5 programming problems Firefox, Chrome

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
alttab
New User

Side button 4,5 programming problems Firefox, Chrome

Post by alttab »

XMBC Version: 2.18.2
Windows Version: 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): E-3lue Cobra EMS109BK
Computer Information: Asus Rog
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: no
How long have you used XMBC?: 6 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: American English

Clear description of the problem: I am trying to program the side buttons (4,5) of the mouse to simulate pressing left and right direction keys on Firefox and Chrome. In my particular case I'm hoping to control the sports video's I watch on WatchESPN. Firefox side button 5 will accept {LEFT} but side button 4 {RIGHT} makes the timeline go all the way back to the beginning of the video. Chrome side buttons 4,5 will accept the same commands and move left and right but in the video I'm trying to control it does something weird. It goes back 5 seconds as it should but pauses. If I press the key again it goes back 5 more seconds and plays. So it's got a pause command built in the 1st time but not the second. I would just show a screenshot of the settings but I can't see how to do that here? Thanks
phil
Site Admin

Re: Side button 4,5 programming problems Firefox, Chrome

Post by phil »

Hi,

Im on holiday right now so I cant try this out to see if its a bug or a setup thing.

You need to have 4 or 5 posts before images are allowed (to help thawt the spam bots). You could email me the screenshots if you want (phi [at] highrez [dot) co (dot} uk).

I'll get back to you next week if no one else has stepped in - if you dont hear from me by next wednesday please nudge me!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
alttab
New User

Post by alttab »

One other thing I now see on Firefox is that the command {RIGHT} works if I assign it to the scroll wheel click. If I assign it to mouse button 5 it doesn't.
Now I'm in Firefox and pressing mouse button 5. Instead of the direction key right it enters this: (pressed)[] By the way, I just tried this on Edge and buttons 4 and 5 assigned to Direction keys {LEFT} {RIGHT} functions correctly! So it's something unique to firefox and Chrome I guess?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Very odd. I use chrome and firefox daily and have button 4 and 5 assigned to copy and paste - they work as expected. You say that in the settings window, it says "(pressed)[]" with nothing inside the square brackets? That doesn't look right.

I'll get on this when I get home and am over the jet lag!
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'm struggling to find a video on WatchESPN that responds to the keyboard arrow keys...

I'm in the UK so I may not have access to the content you (although I can see some videos on the WatchESPN website) describe - are there any links you can provide that I can try? Maybe on another site that works the same way but is globally accessible.

Its a bit difficult to try and reproduce if the video windows don't respond to the left/right keys in the way you describe :).

EDIT: found one (I had to actually click the video before the keys worked)...
But it works fine on buttons 4 and 5 with {LEFT} and {RIGHT} respectively... That's with Waterfox... Off to try Firefox and chrome now!

EDIT 2: Works for me in chrome too (I dont have the latest firefox on my desktop so I'll have to go elsewhere and try that)
Also noted that WatchESPN redirects to espn.co.uk for me so maybe that site behaves differently... I doubt it thought as the vids are responding to keys (and left/right).

Please can you send me a copy of you full profile (use the Save profile button) and send me the result (PM it to me here or email it to me).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
alttab
New User

Post by alttab »

That's the thing with the two websites I'm trying to use xmouse on is that you either have to have (in my case) a US cable subscription to access the one (ESPNwatch) or the other Youtube TV which I subscribe to. Both of them offer no mouse control. I'm sending that profile. The latest development is Firefox will go back to start whenever I press the side button5 ...simulated key {RIGHT} Chrome will move ahead 5 seconds but will pause then if pressed again will move another 5 seconds and unpause. This is on ESPN Watch and Youtube TV. The thing I've now discovered is using Edge Browser on ESPN watch allows correct programming of side buttons 4,5, to {LEFT} and {RIGHT} and middle button for m which mutes. These are the only two websites I watch sports playbacks on so I can't say about others. If I watch Youtube itself on Chrome it's completely different. The other two websites are primitive compared to it. Youtube TV is way inferior to Youtube for sports events ability to back up or go forward but many events are not shown there. I can use my mouses scroll wheel on Youtube (only on Chrome, not Firefox) to go back or forward. Thanks!
alttab
New User

Post by alttab »

I thought I had a workaround by using Edge Browser. I just found out Youtube TV can't be watched on Edge. At the start of his post I was focused on EspnWatch. Even though it has limitations for sporting events it's still way better than Youtube TV (which has only 15 second back or forward). That's way too big a jump for my way of watching sports. Anyway, I now see the side button problem continues for Chrome and Firefox for Youtube TV. Thanks