Problem of wheel scroll during drag and drop

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
ayusuke
New User

Post by ayusuke »

Thank you for the great software!

I have an scrolling issue since 2.18. Could you please help me?

XMBC Version: 2.17(fine) and 2.18, 2.18.1(problem)
Windows Version: Both Windows 7 x64 and Windows 10 x64
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech M545
Computer Information: HP EliteBook 8540w, ThinkPad X1 Carbon
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: Yes
How long have you used XMBC?: 3 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: Japanese

Clear description of the problem:

Until 2.17, I was able to scrool window by wheel during drag and drop (that is, holding left mouse button) in case I assign "Mouse Wheel Up"/"Mouse Wheel Down" on the "Wheel Up"/"Wheel Down". It is really convenient to drag something to out of the shown area. For example, drag a file to a far folder on the tree of the Explorer, also drag an e-mail to a far folder on the tree of Outlook.

However, on 2.18 and 2.18.1, it does not work. At the moment I move the wheel during drag and drop, the drag is canceled in spite of I am holding the left mouse button, and the dragged item is released.

I prefer the behavior of the 2.17. I guess the new feature of 2.18 affects to "Mouse Wheel Up"/"Mouse Wheel Down". Could you please support any compatibility option?

Thanks,
phil
Site Admin

Re: Problem of wheel scroll during drag and drop

Post by phil »

For starters why have you mapped the wheel up/down to wheel up/down? What is the point of that and why does leaving it as "nothing (don't intercept)" not work (or does it actually work better?)

Having, checked, I don't believe it works better - that is it aborts the drag here too. Interestingly without XMBC, when dragging, (certainly in explorer) it does not allow scroll while dragging. I guess the question I need to as myself now is why did it work in 2.17? (its not an intentional change) and is it a change in XMBC or Windows explorer.

I'll need to roll back to 2.17 myself and study the code to figure out whats going on (and that wont be particularly quick - maybe at the weekend I will find some time - but no promises!)

Thanks for letting me now.

EDIT: I just tried 2.17 here and it behaves exactly the same :?: :roll:
EDIT 2: OK no it works in 2.17 when wheel up/down is mapped to wheel up.down, just not when mapped to "nothing (don't intercept)"... Odd but gives me something to go on.. Leave it with me.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
ayusuke
New User

Post by ayusuke »

Thank you for taking a look, Phil.

As you say, It behaves like following:
  • without XMBC: keeps drag, without scroll.
  • wheel up/down(~2.17): keeps drag, with scroll. (this is what I want)
  • wheel up/down(2.18~), No Change, Scroll Window Up/Down: aborts drag, with scroll.
Now I understnad the siduation. I am happy if the 2nd behaviour is supported officially.

Regards,
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

The good news, I found the change in 2.18 that caused this change in behavior.
The bad news, I don't really understand why the change causes this problem. However, I can revert that particular change though and I hope it wont cause any problems elsewhere.

This will get fixed in the next version - the only question is, do I release a 2.18.2 or just add it to the changes in 2.19 (for which I will run a Beta program so the actual release will be some time away). How desperate are you to have this fixed? Would you be happy running the beta with this fix (and all the other changes as they happen).

NOTE: I haven't actually started 2.19 beta yet so this will be the first change in there - and possible the only one in beta 1 (so you could run with that without any risk).

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

I don't know if I ever used or use mentioned feature. Why it got changed, maybe intentionally, but rather by mistake. Anyway I think you should wait to end of month to see if something more differently working won't come up. If not then you can release last update, so 2.18.2 and start another Beta, or if that is only one thing to correct and ayusuke is fine with you can implement is only to incoming Beta.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

its not really even a feature... Its a side effect of how XMBC does things, and that side effect got changed, causing the way it worked to change. I didn't know it worked that way either (esp. as I don't normally remap mouse wheel up/down to the wheel up/down dropdowns - who'd have thought?!)

But then the majority of users use only a subset of what XMBC can do (not least myself - I hardly use any of the advanced funky stuff I have added for the likes of you!) - and therefore when "fixing" something for one person, its quite easy to break something that someone else is using (intentionally or not).

I asked the question of how important it is because I want an answer from the OP. - not everyone else as its clearly not important to anyone not relying on the way XMBC worked in 2.17 :). I will make my decision based on that answer. And anyway at the end of the month, I'm on holiday :) :) :) so I wont be doing anything around then!
--[ Phil ]--
ayusuke
New User

Post by ayusuke »

I appreciate for the work, Phil!

No problem for me to use beta. I am also happy to join in the development as a beta tester.

The "wheel scroll during drag" is important for me. XMBC is the only software which can do this and works on Windows 10 as far as I know. I agree it seems strange to remap mouse wheel up/down to the wheel up/down. Because I really want this, I had much trial and error efforts among many mouse utilities. Finally I found XMBC with the configuration.

Regards,
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I put the fix in to 2.18.2 that I released yesterday.
Does it work again now?
--[ Phil ]--
ayusuke
New User

Post by ayusuke »

2.18.2 works perfectly!
Thank you, Phil.

Regards,
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Great :)
--[ Phil ]--