how to disable a profile with hold alt key?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
kingfitz
New User

how to disable a profile with hold alt key?

Post by kingfitz »

hi, love the software, just discovered it! its saving me a ton of excess clicking during gaming and just normal computer use - literally saving me hand pain from so much clicking. Phil you are a genius great work on this program! just have a very simple question thanks for any help. just wondering how to temporarily toggle a profile layer on or off while holding the alt key. (I did search forums and didnt get results)

example:

default profile, layer 1 - mouse wheel up = left click. mouse wheel down = right click. I want to hold alt to disable layer 1 (to allow normal wheel scrolling for a few seconds).

thank you.

p.s. i assume there is no xmouse support for mac os? maybe someone could port it to mac /unix system- would be awesome to have similar mouse functionality on those OS's.
phil
Site Admin

Re: how to disable a profile with hold alt key?

Post by phil »

Hi,

I'll answer your last question first :). No there is no support for any OS other than Windows. XMBC ties tightly in to the Windows API and relies on mouse hooks. I don't know how Mac OSX/Unix works but I expect it would be quite different in this regard and therefore would pretty much be a complete re-write. Not impossible but not a simple "port" per say. And not something I myself would be competent in doing as I don't know enough about either OS.

Now to the 'disabling a profile/layer' question....
Actually the easiest option would probably to be to use layers. You can tell XMBC to switch layers when ALT is held down, and on layer 2 you can leave the assignments as "nothing don't intercept".

To do this, in settings, turn on layer modifier keys (they have their own tab) and select ALT to activate layer 2.
Then on your profile (default or any other) select layer 2 and ensure all the button/wheel actions are set to "nothing"
Hit apply and that should do it.

The only thing to be aware of is that the key you hold (ALT) to switch layers can impact default mouse operations. You will probably be OK for scrolling, unless the app that you are scrolling does something different when ALT+Scroll is used.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
kingfitz
New User

Post by kingfitz »

Awesome I got it working. This program really is amazing. Super helpful. now I can click with upscroll, right click with down. and disable XMBC simply with a hotkey toggle. what sucks is there is almost no software on the planet that can accomplish this on mac os. Ive been researching for days. even tried a windows wrapper tool called wineskin that installls windows apps within a mac os, in a virtual env. but cant get the xmbc to apply globally. eh guess ill have to code some ugly python script to do this. didnt mean to bug ya, works wonders on windows. thanks again you deserve more support, maybe put up some crypto deposit addresses for donations, btc, ltc, eth. adios
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi, I'm glad that worked for you.
Sorry I cant offer any more on Mac OSX/Linux.

There is both paypal and bitcoin donate buttons on the home page in the donate section.
Some have suggested removing the bitcoin link due to its reputation - but I don't really understand that!
https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/xmo ... ontrol.htm (scroll down to the donations section). I must admit that bitcoin donations are rare and I haven't tested it recently but no reason for it not to work?!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)