Voting for users ideas of making XMBC a better tool

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Voting for users ideas of making XMBC a better tool

Post by Kukurykus »

Phil, if one day you had enough time, could you share with us your to-do list? Not directly regular list more like items of a poll. You could insert only those ideas you know they wouldn't you take too much time that couldn't be realised at the moment. Or if there are really cool ideas you could make 2 poll's for everything that can be done quite fast, and something you need to spend much time on. There can be also 3rd poll for unpopular requests. Each item would be linked to appropriate topic (if such exists), for example by posting links under a poll. Most likely your to-do list is very long, but you could consider to sort out ideas for just 3 categories and from each of them choose 10 items that be put to appropriate voting theard.

I don't know how that could be done, probably making interactive site would be time consuming, so possibly to make everything simple you could use your forum option to set a poll. Maybe there was a chance to add new items after some time while keeping old ones - (un)voted yet. Not everything at once, just setting one poll with some 10 selected by you ideas for beginning would be fine. If users were active in initial poll then you could try something more about it...

This way you're getting to know what many of us would like to have in next version of XMBC, so also what potentially your tool would be downloaded for, I mean in Beta stage, that would increase testers quantity.

EDIT: right to vote should have only logged in users. I'm not sure how many items single user can choose by this forum voting system, and even if more than one I'm not sure how many items we should be allowed to vote for at once, only one we want the most or more, so all our favourites?
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
phil
Site Admin

Re: Voting for users ideas of making XMBC a better tool

Post by phil »

It might work, but in my experience, there are not enough active users here to produce a valid result as the results will be swayed/biased by a significant few (3 users spring to mind!) so it may not be a good reflection of what the majority of users actually want to see.

As it stands, my todo list is available online (well my bug/feature tracker) at https://bugz.highrez.co.uk- its read only but visible to all.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Re: Voting for users ideas of making XMBC a better tool

Post by Kukurykus »

Yes it might work and won't be biased if you will choose 10 requests to put on the list users will vote for. Only those you are sure you want to implement, that are quite easy and not time cosuming to focus on, also are most useful and quite interesting to try out.

If we will be allowed to vote only for one item and you leave such poll for 2 months there is no way only 3 most active users influence the results. It might be they will be a minority. It is important though to give a description of idea to vote for or just a link to dedicated topic, so we can consider is that we want to vote for or else do we have some additional suggestions anyone before has not came with.

Please if you have a while just select 10 of them for one poll and we will see how that worked in practise.

Ps. thx for sharing your to-do list - it's very well sorted out ;)
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD